It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can multiple teams use the same backlog?

alex feldman (1111) | asked Feb 05 '18, 12:54 p.m.

Hi

Our current RTC defines product backlog based on team and team associated with one or multiple categories. This definition establish single backlog to single team.

In scaled agile framework, multiple team should have a way to work on the same backlog.

My question:

* do we have a way to let multiple teams to work with the same backlog?

* Does RTC support this structure?

Thank you

Alex

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 05 '18, 1:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 05 '18, 1:28 p.m.

I would suggest to carefully read https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RTCProcessFundamentals . I think here is also a lot of information you want to check: https://jazz.net/safe/

The dimension you don't mention above is the timeline. Teams can share the same timeline and the backlog is just an iteration in such a timeline. So, yes, teams can share the backlog iteration, if they share the same timeline.

It is however absolutely possible and also sometimes a good idea to not share a timeline e.g. if the teams have different rythms.

Note that RTC also supports collaboration even if teams don't share a timeline.

permanent link
Paul George (514) | answered Feb 05 '18, 2:48 p.m.

To some extent, yes, given the team areas are in the same project area. However, I would presume separate teams might have separate sprints. What backlog you are talking about and what 'work on' means. There is usually a product backlog, release backlog  and multiple sprints. Further, assigning a work item to a team area and/or assigning categories lets teams have filters to show their applicable work. Review what Robert Schoon supplies above.

Comments
alex feldman commented Feb 05 '18, 2:57 p.m.

Thank you Paul.

I'm talking about Product Backlog. Both teams are sharing the same timeline.

I will review Ralph's message but right now I can't create another team's Product Backlog because RTC doesn't allow me to create new team's Product backlog if none of categories linked to this team.

thanks 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.