It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Update test case from defect

Thao Nguyen (37334) | asked Feb 04 '18, 10:12 p.m.
edited Feb 04 '18, 11:00 p.m.

Hello Team,

We have several defect work items which need to be updated to test case. Assume that defects are in fixed by one developer and closed by one tester (Tester-1) 
- Now test lead would like to assign this defect to another tester (Tester-2) to review and update test case with scenario mentioned inside defect. (I would not prefer creating another work item to relate with this defect. This work item is assigned to Tester-2) 
- Whenever Tester-2 completes this, he changes status to something like "Test Case is updated" or anything relevant. Also he fills in test case name which contains his update 
- Then test lead reviews output of Tester-2, changes status to Test Case fix is ready for test" or whatever 

With this we can use query to see if necessary defects are updated to test case and where is progress of that updating task by looking at proper user-defined fields/columns such as: Review status, updated test case,... 

I thought of linking of RQM and CCM, change state of TC inside RQM but look it does not give a single "all-in-one" view to understand if progress of updating TC for one defect. Also Approval tab in each defect work item seems to be just cover simple information like approved/Rejected, not what we need in details such as updated TC name 

I plan to create one tab called "SW Test" in template of defect work item template, contains above information so we tester/test lead can work on this. For example
  • Section Update TC inside SW Test tab
    • Need to update TC: Yes/No/Pending/Updated
    • Updater: list out all testers
    • Updated TC name: fill in Test Case Name here or can add link to related TC
    • Estimate/Effort/Due Date
  • Section Review updated TC inside SW Test tab
    • Reviewer: list out all testers 
    • Review status: Not Reviewed Yet/Reviewed
    • Estimate/Effort/Due Date
One impact i can imagine is that email notification about SW Test stuff may come to Developer Subscriber

Do have any advices or other experience on this? 

2 answers

permanent link
Paul George (514) | answered Feb 05 '18, 3:02 p.m.

Well, you can log events using comments and reassignments within a state are fine. It looks like you might need an augmented work flow for defects. The built in assumption is that a work item is implemented by a single individual though it may be verified by another. The expected mechanism is that the defect will have child work items for the various kinds of rework needed; i.e. code, documentation, test cases, requirements, etc.
Your design might work, but looks a little complicated. A list of testers would require a Team area with members, which could cause other issues. I know of no mechanism for a selection list filtered by role. Similarly notifications are very limited in RTC.

permanent link
Thao Nguyen (37334) | answered May 04 '18, 4:58 a.m.

Thanks Paul, i finally go with simpler approach:

In CCM, have one more tab-called SW Test
  • Section Update TC inside SW Test tab
    • Need to update TC: Yes/No/Pending/Updated
    • Updater: list out all testers
    • Updated TC name: fill in Test Case Name here or can add link to related TC
  • Section Review updated TC inside SW Test tab
    • Reviewer: list out all testers 
    • Review status: Not Reviewed Yet/Reviewed
Then i create a separate work item to track assignment of specific Updater who may work on one/a list of defects

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.