It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Looking to migrate database from Synergy 7.2/Change 5.3 validated with RDS to RTC. Are there tools for this?

Daniel Bernard (1111) | asked Jan 24 '18, 2:58 p.m.

Hi, we have programs with significantly sized databases in Rational Synergy, paired with Rational Change, and authored using Rational Directory Server.

I've seen a number of articles for varying versions of all of these tools, but it is unclear to me whether or not there exists a tool to do a single-time database migration from Synergy/Change to RTC.
Is this something that exists and is maintained for the current version of RTC?
What articles should I be pointing our team to for reference, should we migrate to RTC?

3 answers

permanent link
Ben Verlinden (11) | answered Dec 11 '20, 4:20 a.m.

Hi ,

I have created a Synergy2Git . net core application for a customer. This application is a multithreaded application which fetches all data baseline / Change Requests/ Tasks and workareas from synergy(interaction with synergy CLI).
The metadata from synergy is fetched and cached in a sqlite database and when all metadata and workarea has been processed converted to a  synergy baseline/git branch with commits with annotaded tags (change requests/task info)

When the full migration has been done - a command can translate the branches(baselines) into tag information.

If you are interested in this solution , feel free to contact mee

Comments
Ben Verlinden commented Dec 11 '20, 4:21 a.m.

We have moved 38 solutions.

One of the solutions contains history from 2009 to 2020 with 3800 baselines in synergy 

permanent link
Brad Morse (235) | answered Jan 27 '20, 3:31 p.m.

Our company is in the same boat and there seems to be very little support on this migration. I was very disappointed that IBM does not provide a migration path between these IBM tool sets. Any update? 

Comments
Daniel Bernard commented Jan 27 '20, 3:42 p.m.

We gave up on IBM's lack of support, and instead migrated to Atlassian (Bitbucket/Jira, using server-side git hooks to enforce CM policies).

Talk about a world of difference in capability, performance, documentation, support, and feature upgrades.
We had another team starting a new program with RTC; when we compared capability and flexibility of the tools, they decided to switch to Atlassian.
That said, there aren't really any better tools for migrating data from Synergy/Change -> Bitbucket (Git)/Jira, but certainly the tools are scriptable.

I have some legacy programs I need to migrate the history on, and will likely be making a custom modification of https://github.com/emanuelez/PySynergy to fit our databases (note specifically that the date timestamps are stored in different formats for different localizations, see https://github.com/pluempyx/PySynergy/commit/ebfd976b9e9bca6867c0ffb9ad15c8c9ff7e0f2a for an example modification)

Brad Morse commented Jan 27 '20, 4:39 p.m.

Thanks for your feedback Daniel. I was hoping for better news, but was expecting something similar.

permanent link
Chidambaram L (23414077) | answered Apr 17 '19, 11:58 a.m.
I am sailing in the same boat.
Any guidance or research would help.
Was the ClearCase - RTC migration tool helpful, atleast for RTC Import side.

Comments
Daniel Bernard commented Apr 17 '19, 12:01 p.m.

I haven't found anything useful to this point, and there doesn't seem to be a larger community support for the tooling.
We're going to migrate to the Atlassian toolchain instead (Bitbucket/Jira), and likely write some CLI scripts that coordinate between ccm and git porcelain commands to either replicate some of the history, or just migrate in the latest baselines and call it good there. 

Chidambaram L commented Apr 17 '19, 12:13 p.m. | edited Apr 17 '19, 12:15 p.m.
Thanks for the immediate response.
When migrating the history, the time stamp needs to be retained. ccm commands can help to extract the meta data like time stamp.
Will do some research & get back to you.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.