It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test Script Automatic type with a test case specification similar to Test Script Manual type

Raluca Lupu (112) | asked Jan 22 '18, 11:19 a.m.

Hello,

We are trying to configure RQM for writing test case specification.
We would like to have the same format of test case specification no matter of the test script type.
Currently:
- If I select a Test Script with type "Manual", we can add a short description and also steps with "Action", "Expected results"
- If I select a Test Script with type "Automatic", we can only add a short description and a link to the test script.

We would like to keep the steps in RQM for both types and when we have an automatic test, the link will still be kept.  Is there any way to add a similar format for the "Automatic" type of test scripts?

Additionally to that, is there any way to create a test script template based on the description? (as a comment in the headline of the script)

2 answers

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Jan 23 '18, 9:47 p.m.

The answer to both would be No.
For the first use case, you may consider using Keyword for both automatic and manual script,
Then adding keyword to the manual script steps(either automatic or manual in the keyword), in which it should
have expected results etc in each step.

permanent link
Christophe Telep (236) | answered Feb 07 '18, 10:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

One available option is to use the "Test Case Design" section of the "Test Case" to capture the test specification independently of the test script type associate to the Test Case in an informal rich test format.

You can still link this Test Case to either a manual Test Script or an automated Test Script, or both.

You can also create an actual manual Test Script reusing the content of that "Test Case Design" section automatically by using the "Create manual test script from test case design" button. Each line in that section will be turned into a step in the created manual script.

Please see the following page on the online documentation for more details on that option:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSCP65_6.0.5/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_create_testscript_auto.html

Comments
Raluca Lupu commented Feb 14 '18, 2:55 a.m.

Thank you for your answer. 

This would mean that we will have test case specification in 2 different sections:
1. for manual type-> specification will be in 'Test Script Manual' section
2. for automatic type-> specification will be in 'Test Case' section
Is my understanding correct?
Thank you in advance,
Raluca

Christophe Telep commented Feb 14 '18, 3:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi,

I guess it depends what you mean by Test Specification.
For me, I would say the high-level Test Specification should go in the Design section of the Test Case in both cases. The manual script is really an implementation of that specification the same as an automated script is another implementation.

Regards
Christophe

Raluca Lupu commented Feb 15 '18, 2:31 a.m.

Ok, thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.