It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM-How to efficiently mark several TCs as supported for new product category/attribute

Thao Nguyen (37334) | asked Jan 19 '18, 2:25 a.m.

Hello,

In each TC, we have information to mention this TC can be used in which product. Normally, it can be used/tested in several products.

I implemented "Supported products" by creating category with same name (Supported Products), multiple valued. It contains product list such as: prod1, prod2, prod3,...

Assume that we have a new product, called prod4. And we need to mark several TCs as supported for prod4, but have no ideas to do it in bulk. Can you advise?

P/S: 
1. I tried with TC view, select several TCs (TC1, TC2,..) and change category "Supported Products" to prod4, but this action erases all previous supported products of these TCs, not as my purpose: append prod4.

Before 
TC1   Supported products: prod1,prod2,prod3
TC2   Supported products: prod1,prod2

After
TC1   Supported products: prod4
TC2   Supported products: prod4

My purpose
TC1   Supported products: prod1,prod2,prod3,prod4
TC2   Supported products: prod1,prod2,prod4

2. Tried with attribute, seem it is not better than implementation as Category
3. Probably we need to have many categories. The number of category equals to the number of products? Each TC will mark YES/NO at each product category column. If so, we have at least 90-100 product models, ie. 90-100 categories

Look it is not efficient, or will be limited in total number of category is 50 as mentioned here

3. Use RQMExcelImporter to upload TC with new supported product information to overwrite the same TC with "old" supported product information?

2 answers

permanent link
anup Gaur (1392144) | answered Jan 22 '18, 12:28 a.m.

I suggest you can try the RQMURLUtility.

1) Create a query with filter which selects the Testcases and their attributes (products category). Run the query.
2) Download this result set as a CSV.
3) Use RQMURL utility to GET testcases as XML. Hint: Use the CSV file, RQMURLutility in a batch file to do this.
4) Use notepad++ or similar tool to make the changes to XML (add prod4 etc) using find and replace.
5) Do a POST in RQMURLUtility and VOILA!! you should be done.

Hope this helps.

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jan 19 '18, 4:46 a.m.

To properly update a multi-valued attribute, you have to retrieve the old value first, unless you don't care what the original value is.

You can probably do something like this using Excel (on a high level).
1. Export the TCs to a Excel sheet, including the attribute to be updated.
2. Add a column to the Excel sheet with value ",prod4".
3. Merge the columns (by using a function or some sort).
4. Import the TCs back to RQM.

Comments
Thao Nguyen commented Jan 21 '18, 8:14 p.m.

Yes, thanks Donald, however, i am looking for if we have other efficiently ways to perform on Jazz GUI instead of export then import by RQMExcelImporter

Donald Nong commented Jan 21 '18, 8:36 p.m.

Note that there is no "append" operation by design, and you need to keep this in mind. If you want to do bulk update in the web GUI, you need to select the artifacts with the same values, say "Prod1,Pro2", then set the new value to "Prod1,Prod2,Prod4". Whether it is "efficient" enough depends on how many combination of the category values there are and how many artifacts to process.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.