It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[RTC] Exporting/re-importing whole RTC project area content

Olivier Béghain (1082133) | asked Jan 17 '18, 4:41 a.m.

Hello,

I'm actually having an RTC project area (based on the SAFe process template with some minor adaptations) filled with information from several teams for several program increments and iterations. People using it are forced to "abandon" in a certain way the usage of that specific RTC instance for an alternative but I don't want to lose the information. The aim is to migrate the content of that project area onto another server taking into account that I won't be able to keep the FQDN of the server. So...

What is the most suitable/practicable approach to migrate the information easily?

Note: I do not need to have the actual list of RTC users present/accessing the migrated version of the project area; only a few/key people. I also have some work items having links to RDNG elements and a lot of dashboards configuration I would like to migrate too (including some custom JSR reports/queries).

Your help is more than welcome!

Regards,
Olivier.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 17 '18, 8:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

For all I know, there is no way to easily migrate all the data of a project area. Not within a repository and even less across server  boundaries.

Users, customers and services have written more or less complex tools to be able to migrate at least some data (usually without history).

Across server, you can use distributed SCM to bring SCM data over with history and limited baselines. The link back to change sets points to the original repository.

You can use export and import like CSV or the work item command line to export and import work item data without history. You could try to use cross repository link types to link back to the original links from a new custom attribute or using your data with some scripting.

You can export and import reports for some of the reporting options. You can use templates or shared process to bring over processes.

You will likely have to redo dashboards, build stuff and all the other things like queries etc. Queries can - to some extend  - be made predefined and put into a process template, not sure how much you can expect.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.