It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Git commit Vs RTC changeset & RTC baseline

Vayal R (1112) | asked Jan 10 '18, 3:37 a.m.
In git, every commit has a link to one or more previous commits so any commit represents the entire state of the repository at that commit. However what I notice in RTC is that the changesets seem to be independent of one another except when a file is modified by more than one changeset in which case the first changeset becomes the dependency for the second. Since the changesets are independent they don't describe the state of the repository but only the delta. Now I can see that changeset is not exactly equal to a git commit. RTC baseline represents a state of the repository but is a new baseline dependent on an existing baseline? Also is there a way I can look at the repository state at a given older time when there are no baselines available?

One answer

permanent link
robert genzinger (1613) | answered Jan 15 '18, 10:30 a.m.

in RTC  a baseline represent the freeze of your configuration, a component in RTC (could be a repository)
depending of your configuration settings a baseline could be created by anyone or only an admin.
So feel free and create as much as possible baselines for each freeze you think or not think you can need in future.
That's the way for RTC.

Whit out baselines: you need to start with a stream or work space starting with the initial baseline (created automatically) and add your change sets on top,
,need to query for the change set with date

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.