It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does RTC Shell Client 6.0.5 log in 'hang' in Windows 10? (Is there a solution?)

Daniel Barbour (250222) | asked Jan 08 '18, 11:30 a.m.

Our company was previously using Windows 7 on the majority of its desktop/laptop machines and recently switched to Windows 10 in anticipation of the ending of extended support for Windows 7.   Subsequent to the upgrade to Windows 10 we discovered that the RTC Shell Client could not log in (the log in window would hang for up the the connection timeout period (default of 480 seconds) and then returns with an error 'Failed to contact the repository

On a lab bench machine that is still running Windows 7, and which was upgraded with the RTC 6.0.5 Shell Client, we can successfully connect to our RTC 6.0.5 server.

We can also successfully login on a Windows 10 machine via the Eclipse Client and via a Web Browser - just not the RTC Shell Client.

I will note that the compatibility notes (https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.rational.clm.doc/helpindex_clm.html&scope=null) state that:

".. the supported platforms are Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) and Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit). The 32-bit client only installs on 32-bit platforms and the 64-bit client only installs on 64-bit platforms..."

If the RTC Shell Client is not supported (as indicated by the above documentation and our experience so far) is there a plan for future support of this client on Windows 10?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Barbour (250222) | answered Jan 10 '18, 4:10 p.m.

Thank you - using Wireshark I had discovered that on my Windows 10 machine the default security setting of TLS 1 that was being used for the initial 'Client Hello' message was not being handled (or was ignored).  In Windows 7, however, a 'Change Cypher Spec' dialog was entered that ultimately led to TLS 1.2 being selected.  I was starting to look for ways to either enable TLS 1 for Windows 10 (which I did not find given it would open a security hole) OR to find a way to configure the RTC Shell Client to use TLS 1.2 by default.  Your screen shot answered the latter question.

After selecting Use 'TLS 1.2' I was successfully able to connect.  (Note: Selecting TLS 1.1 by itself did NOT work).

This is resolved for me..in closing, however, I would suggest this information be included in the shell client  install instructions for  Windows 10 users (this probably worked previously for Windows 10 in 2015 but was subsequently 'broken' as later security patches to the OS disabled TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1)

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Priyadarshini Gorur commented Jan 11 '18, 2:08 a.m. | edited Jan 11 '18, 2:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Glad you could resolve the issue, and thanks for the feedback. We will test this in house and update the documentation accordingly. Can you tell us which version of Windows 10 you are on?

Daniel Barbour commented Jan 11 '18, 9:39 a.m.

This is our version:
Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1709
OS Build: 16299.192

Priyadarshini Gorur commented Jan 12 '18, 12:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thank you, I have created RTC Shell client install help might need to be updated specifically for Windows 10 (450170) to track changes to install help.

Priyadarshini Gorur commented Jan 18 '18, 12:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

2 other answers

permanent link
Priyadarshini Gorur (3313) | answered Jan 10 '18, 1:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

We have tested RTC Shell client (starting 6.0.3) and found it to work on Windows 10 LTS. Yes, the documentation needs to be updated to include Windows 10 LTS as one of the supported platforms, and will happen as part of System requirements for RTC shell client 6.0.0 is needed (380091).

Having said that, can you please work with IBM support to create a defect against RTC Shell 6.0.5. Please include details such as the authentication type your server is on, the Shell client logs, etc. which will help us reproduce the issue.

- RTC .NET Clients team

Comments
Daniel Barbour commented Jan 10 '18, 11:09 a.m. | edited Jan 10 '18, 11:15 a.m.

Thank you Priyadarshini,

I do believe you when you say that it should work but for our installation it is still 'stuck' on the Login dialog.  I rolled back to the 6.0.4 shell client and it experienced the same issue on our Windows 10 machines so it is not a problem that just started in 6.0.5.  This makes me believe that it is a Windows 10 configuration setting (we are using the standard Windows 10 Pro) that might be interfering but I have not been successful in finding any documentation discussing this topic.  Any advice would be appreciated :)

Dan

P.S. - Our authentication type is 'Username and Password'

Priyadarshini Gorur commented Jan 10 '18, 11:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please attach the logs.
1. Restart your computer.
2. Set the Trace level to Verbose from Shell preferences in Control Panel
3. Try to login
4. Collect logs by clicking Save Log Files.
5. Create a work item at https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational Team Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem and attach the log zip.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 08 '18, 12:05 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Just a wild guess..... The OS is likely not the only difference. One that comes in to mind would be the Java Version e.g. Java 8 versus the Java version shipped with the RTC Eclipse client.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.