It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to create tabular structure in DNG with individual row as artifacts

Pankaj Sharma (401169) | asked Jan 04 '18, 10:57 a.m.

Hello,

I am creating a module with the requirement document given by customer, the document contains tables and i want to replicate the same structure in DNG but having each row a different artifacts.

I am using DNG 6.0.2.

Comments
Keith Collyer commented Jan 05 '18, 6:17 a.m. | edited Jan 05 '18, 6:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

As @bbekker says, this is how a module works. However, this is something I have given considerable thought to over the years, as a table format is very common for specifications in many industries.
I would guess that the real issue is not replicating the structure, the issue is importing a table in such a format. In DOORS, tables in Word would import as DOORS tables, and then there were a number of utility functions (DXL scripts) that would take each table and map each row to a single artifact (object) and each column to a specified attribute. We do not have that capability in DNG. Although not particularly difficult for tables that are entirely consistent, the fact that Word allows cells to be merged makes solving the general problem pretty tricky. The RTC Work Item is here. Please feel free to add your thoughts

2 answers

permanent link
Bas Bekker (1.4k4) | answered Jan 04 '18, 2:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Isn't that how a module works, a requirement per row (with some heading options as well)? So each table would be a different module.

If not so, please provide a more detailed explanation.

permanent link
Pankaj Sharma (401169) | answered Jan 04 '18, 2:16 p.m.

Hello Ben,

I will try to explain by an example, Suppose if we want to create a abbreviation table in a module.
How can we have 3 column and 10 rows in the module (this should generate 10 artifacts as 10 rows)

Hope this explains my requirements

Comments
Bas Bekker commented Jan 04 '18, 8:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Not really, sorry.
What's an abbreviation table, like a table of contents?
And what do you want to see in the 3 columns? Attributes of the artifact?

Pankaj Sharma commented Jan 05 '18, 3:12 p.m.

Hello Bas,

Keith got it exactly right, please see his response above, as he mentioned its not available in DNG but DOORS. 

I cannot understand why IBM keeps on doing such thing by downgrading their on product? The RFE is open since 2014(3 years) and god knows when its going to be implemented

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.