It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Move source code across servers

megha mittal (15112615) | asked Jan 03 '18, 1:20 a.m.
retagged Jan 09 '18, 10:02 a.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Hi, we have  multiple project areas on RTC 4x and now we got one project area on a rtc 6x server and we are planning to move all project areas for server 4x as different streams in project area on server 6x.

Does step mentioned in https://jazz.net/library/article/749 will help us. I doubt it because they talking about two streams there but in our case , one is project area  one is stream.
Other approach of restoring DB is also not possible, since there are other projects too hosted on RTC 6x.
What is the best approach to follow.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 03 '18, 3:32 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As Ralph points out, you need to fix up your question.   You cannot "move all project areas as different streams" (a project area and a stream are completely different kinds of objects).   

2 answers

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Jan 09 '18, 10:02 a.m.

For additional information about using distributed SCM, see Flowing changes to different repositories and  Enabling distributed source control.

Ken

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 03 '18, 3:08 a.m.
edited Jan 03 '18, 3:08 a.m.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of understanding of basic concepts as the question mixes up too many unrelated concepts.

1. Public URI change (https://jazz.net/library/article/749) is totally unrelated to the question, I think.
  2. You can also not just restore some database somewhere to achieve anything in this context.

It is possible to use RTC Distributed SCM to move SCM data with history across servers, but that requires compatible server versions. 6.x and 4.x are not compatible in that respect. Compatibility is in the documentation.

To learn about distributed SCM use google and search for distributed SCM RTC site:jazz.net

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 03 '18, 3:10 a.m.

Note, you can always share a specific version of the code again on a new server. You would loose the history completely by doing this though.

megha mittal commented Jan 05 '18, 5:39 a.m.

Thanks for replies. I copied wrong link , it was https://jazz.net/library/article/535 which i was looking into.
Two points noted from above comments :
- Servers have to be compatible , so i will upgrade my RTC 4x to RTC 6x and then will look for options to migrate.
- I will copy streams from source server as  streams only in  target server .
So , now what is the best approach that can be followed , so that we can  migrate SCM and workitems without loosing history of source code, attachments in Workitems and Workitem links to changeset.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 05 '18, 5:48 a.m. | edited Jan 05 '18, 5:48 a.m.

Distributed SCM only works for SCM.

You can only bring the SCM data with the history that is related to the configuration you synchronize over. The change sets will still reference the old work item on the old server.

There is nothing available to migrate work items or their links.

There is only work item export and import - without history and without support of creation of the new change set links. Any of that would have to be implemented as a migration tool.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.