It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

lscm not able to register sandbox but scm.exe can. Why?

Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | asked Dec 22 '17, 8:45 a.m.
edited Dec 22 '17, 8:53 a.m.

I am calling RTC SCM tools (Windows) in a Build run via Jazz build engine.

The scm tools is basically going to gather history of each artifact and do some processing.

When I use LSCM.bat via build, it throws error "Unable to register sandbox". The same workspace works with scm.exe.

For the component to scan history of certain files, 
- lscm.bat completes in ~ 15 mins.
- scm.exe completes in ~ 2 hrs.

I understand the difference but I want to know how I can get the lscm recognize the sandbox?

the logged in user in lscm, build user and hte workspace owner are the same.

2 answers

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | answered Jan 12 '18, 2:07 a.m.
edited Jan 12 '18, 2:08 a.m.

(Posting as answer due to long content)

Background info: I am calling lscm(scm) in builds (via ANT). The call to lscm/scm happens for more than 100 files in a component. Why I do this is to create a README file for each file from this history of change set (Work item id, summary, comment, who delivered). 

Here are my findings so far:

Our RTC Server: RTC 6.0.4 iFix 005

LSCM (via Build) works on the following scenarios:
1. RTC 6.0.1 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via command line (jbe.exe).
2. RTC 6.0.4 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via command line (jbe.exe).

LSCM (via Build) FAILS on the following scenarios:
1. RTC 6.0.1 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via JSL as a windows service.
2. RTC 6.0.4 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via JSL as a windows service. 
3. RTC 6.0.1 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via NSSM as a windows service.
4. RTC 6.0.4 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via NSSM as a windows service. 

SCM.exe (via Build) works on the following scenarios:
1. RTC 6.0.1 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via command line (jbe.exe).
2. RTC 6.0.4 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via command line (jbe.exe).
3. RTC 6.0.1 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via JSL as a windows service.
4. RTC 6.0.4 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via JSL as a windows service. 
5. RTC 6.0.1 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via NSSM as a windows service.
6. RTC 6.0.4 build tool kit + RTC 6.0.4 SCM tools and starting the build engine via NSSM as a windows service. 

The above scenarios are tested on test instance 

When the program runs with lscm, the whole build completes in <30 minutes.
When the program runs with scm.exe, the whole build completes in >180 mintues.

Why RTC 6.0.1 toolkit because we right now use that and plan to upgrade next week on PROD servers.

Comments
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Feb 01 '18, 3:38 a.m.

Hi Karthik,
It is not clear what exactly error is. Can you please provide the screenshot or entire error message.

Karthik Krishnan commented Feb 01 '18, 5:06 a.m.

Hi Chris,

I am not sure which screenshot you need. I have created a PMR and waiting for someone from IBM to respond :)

-Karthik 

permanent link
Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | answered Dec 30 '17, 6:12 p.m.

Karthik,

since lscm.bat either starts a long running scm daemon process or latches on to an existing one, can you try for the first lscm command you issue to see if maybe another scm process is already running?
>WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\ProcessList.txt path win32_process get Caption,Processid,Commandline

Since only one scm process can access a workspace at a time could it be another scm process already hijacked your workspace and the lscm started daemon fails to register it?

- Arne

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 08 '18, 3:46 a.m.

Thanks for your answer, Arne.

I ran this and found only one scm.exe running (when executing lscm.bat).

After lscm.bat starts, I see one scm.exe running in processes.

My understanding with lscm.bat was if no scm.exe was running, it will start and then future calls will just latch on to it.

Ulf Arne Bister commented Jan 08 '18, 4:40 a.m.

Ok, so it is not another scm process hijacking this.
The logical conclusion is thus that the difference in behavior must be in the difference in startup. I assume scm.exe would scoop up some startup parameters from some .ini whereas lscm.bat might actually override / augment them with different parameters? What might be worth investigating is whether starting the process with lscm.bat actually attracts a different JRE // is missing certain ENV variables. If none of that leads to success this needs to be looked at and solved by IBM support, I guess.

Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 08 '18, 5:55 a.m.

Interestingly enough the same setup using lscm.bat works fine on my local machine with RTC build setup. This doesn't work only on the build server. 

I will explore more on this and in worst case will contact IBM Support. 

Thanks Arne.

Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 16 '18, 6:08 a.m.

In addition to this, I tried to run the JBE as windows service using Apache Commons Daemon and even with this LSCM fails to run. Only SCM.exe works

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Feb 01 '18, 3:35 a.m.

Hi Karthik,
It is not clear what exactly error is. Can you please provide the screenshot or entire error message.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.