It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG: Project Properties With Global Config

David Reilly (69340) | asked Dec 11 '17, 10:52 a.m.

We've created a project area from a template, exported from our "Main" area. We have not recreated artifacts or modules, but we have imported the artifact types, attributes, and attribute data types. 

My question is: 
If we have this new project area, and we synchronize our changes between the two areas: will the project property differences be skewed? I.e. if we delete the artifact types or attributes which are unnecessary within this project, could we potentially overwrite data within our main project area or have some other potential conflict? 

Comments
Bas Bekker commented Dec 11 '17, 12:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

With synchronizing you mean importing project properties from the new project area back into the main area?

David Reilly commented Dec 11 '17, 2:18 p.m.

Sorry, I meant with global configurations / delivery of streams and change sets. Maybe there's nothing to worry about?

One answer

permanent link
Dominic Tulley (38114) | answered Dec 13 '17, 11:11 a.m.

Using change set delivery you cannot take changes from one project area and apply them to another (delivery is only between streams/baselines of the same project area or component).  So, in that case you don't need to worry about causing the problems you describe.

If, as mentioned by Bas, you use type system import between configurations of the two project areas then you can share changes to one type system with the other one.  Type system import does not delete types however so that should also be safe for you to use if you wish, with one caveat: if you delete an attribute definition then you will also have removed it from associated artifact types.  If you import this change into the other project area then the artifact types there may have the attribute definition removed from them too.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.