It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Oracle RAC support ?

Sean G Wilbur (87212421) | asked Sep 25 '09, 1:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Can we use Oracle RAC for database HA and load-balancing ?

I see a few other posts about this "just working" and that it will work transparently. I assume this is because the RTC server uses the Oracle JDBC drivers.

So I would take that as the application does not explicitly implement the fail-over features so it sees a dead connection.

High-Availability: Yes (requires reconnect if current server drops)
Load-Balancing: Yes

Is there anything documenting Database HA/load balancing solutions that are supported?

-Sean

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v2r0m0/topic/com.ibm.team.install.doc/topics/t_s_server_installation_setup_oracle.html

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 25 '09, 3:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Anthony,

Thanks for your input here, I am trying to do some research here before any significant purchases are made for more shelf-ware. In the doc I see where we pass the Oracle JDBC string, I was curious if we can just append the additional RAC options there, albeit I understand that HA would be out unless RTC explicitly implemented means to re-establish dead connections, but load balancing could be a realistic goal.

So the thing to bear in mind is that you can have a standby server available (one that is running but not connected to the database). There are ways to make this a pretty good high availability system. Mark Gravina did a great article on this here:

http://jazz.net/library/article/207

In terms of load balancing - this may not be required. Take a look at the scalability of RTC here:

http://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2009/06/01/how-many-users-will-your-team-concert-20-server-support/

anthony

permanent link
Sean G Wilbur (87212421) | answered Sep 25 '09, 3:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Anthony,

Thanks for your input here, I am trying to do some research here before any significant purchases are made for more shelf-ware. In the doc I see where we pass the Oracle JDBC string, I was curious if we can just append the additional RAC options there, albeit I understand that HA would be out unless RTC explicitly implemented means to re-establish dead connections, but load balancing could be a realistic goal.

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(FAILOVER=ON)(ADDRESS_LIST=(LOAD_BALANCE=ON)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=xxxxx)(PORT=1526))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=xxxx)(PORT=1526)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=somesid)))

I have not tried it yet, but I would not assume any of these would work today, potentially a work item here ?

-Sean

I see a few other posts about this "just working" and that it will work transparently. I assume this is because the RTC server uses the Oracle JDBC drivers.

So I would take that as the application does not explicitly implement the fail-over features so it sees a dead connection.

Is there anything documenting Database HA/load balancing solutions that are supported?

-Sean

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v2r0m0/topic/com.ibm.team.install.doc/topics/t_s_server_installation_setup_oracle.html

Hi

I am working with a company that uses Oracle - and looked at Oracle RAC. We were told that unless applications are coded to take explicit advantage of the RAC features - there is no direct benefit in using RAC beyond what Oracle RAC provides to any application. RTC is not aware of what Oracle RAC might be doing.

HA and load balancing require something that address the app server and database components - not just the database. There is work going on around Clustering (which would address HA and possibly Load balancing on the app server side) but this is not part of the current release.

The company mentioned above is using a Vertias cluster to get HA (not load balancing).

regards

anthony

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 25 '09, 2:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

-Sean

Hi

I am working with a company that uses Oracle - and looked at Oracle RAC. We were told that unless applications are coded to take explicit advantage of the RAC features - there is no direct benefit in using RAC beyond what Oracle RAC provides to any application. RTC is not aware of what Oracle RAC might be doing.

HA and load balancing require something that address the app server and database components - not just the database. There is work going on around Clustering (which would address HA and possibly Load balancing on the app server side) but this is not part of the current release.

The company mentioned above is using a Vertias cluster to get HA (not load balancing).

regards

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.