It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Global Configuration or no...

Mahari Hill (4861167230) | asked Sep 25 '17, 8:32 a.m.
retagged Jan 03 '18, 1:34 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hello,

CLM 6.0.3

On a separate server farm, I am not the Rational admin. I logged in checked each Rational application as the admin is out of town. I looked in DNG, and it has, what looks like a stream at the top. Does that mean they are using Global Configuration? Is GC project or server based? They told me they are not using GC, so is this just a normal thing for DNG projects now?

We don't use DNG in our environment, so I was wondering if this is a normal thing that appears. Or if they implemented GC and didn't know it. Even if you install GC, does it "activate" or do you have to go in and do something?

thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 25 '17, 11:04 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 25 '17, 12:02 p.m.

To avoid confusion, it probably is important to be a bit more precise.   The Global Configuration Management application (/gcm) is not something that you activate.   If it is installed, it is active, and you can create global components, global streams, and global baselines.  But those global configurations are not very useful until you have configurations that actually contain versions of artifacts, and you contribute those configurations to a global configuration.

What you "activate" is (1) configuration management on a given DNG or RQM server, and (2) configuration management of a given DNG or RQM project area (you cannot activate configuration management of a project area until after you have activated configuration management on the server for that project area).  The DNG and RQM configurations are the configurations that actually contain versions of artifacts, and that can contribute to a global configuration.

As Shrada says, there actually is an initial stream created in a DNG project area before you turn on configuration management for that project area, and you are allowed to create baselines on that stream (so you can compare current and previous states).  The reason there is a configuration context for a DNG project area even before you have activated configuration management for that project area is to allow you to set your current configuration to be an arbitrary baseline, so you can browse through the content of that baseline.

Mahari Hill selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mahari Hill commented Sep 26 '17, 7:26 a.m.

Thanks all for responding. We will take note of the answers.

One other answer

permanent link
Shradha Srivastav (348313) | answered Sep 25 '17, 10:11 a.m.

Hi Mahari,

DNG by default creates and the Initial stream for each PA.

GC needs to be enabled explicitly from rm/admin -> Advance properties

https://jazz.net/library/article/1546

Comments
Shradha Srivastav commented Sep 25 '17, 10:13 a.m.

Also, just by installing GC it won't be activated. You need to go to each and every PA to enable it explicitly.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.3/com.ibm.rational.gcapp.doc/topics/c_all_users_task_flows.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.