It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Generic Visual Inspection Test case I want to use in many different Test Suites

Richard Good (872158) | asked Sep 11 '17, 1:24 p.m.
retagged Sep 15 '17, 6:24 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hello

I'm getting a bit confused by how to arrange my Test Cases, Test Plans and Test Suites. What happens at this clients is that a number of tests are applied to the same bit of kit in many different configuration. But the visual inspection after and before the test is always the same. Having one Visual Inspection test case ran many times in a Test Suite and in many different Test Suites seemed reasonable and pleasing. However it seems as though you cannot link a Test Suite to a Requirement. So it renders the Traceability views useless. Obviously one visual inspection failing on one Test Suite has absolutely no bearing on another. I want to only display the latest results from particular Test Suites against requirements, but as I can only link to Test Cases or plans am a little flummoxed. I also have reason to map more than one Test Plan to a Test suite. I can imagine I can add a Test Suite condition to queries somehow, but I really prefer a more general solution. What do other people do?

Cheers for reading

Richard

Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Sep 12 '17, 7:27 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Richard,

Sounds like you want to use keywords (see Using keywords in manual tests).  The keyword would consist of the before/after visual inspection step(s).  You would associate your requirement(s) to the test case (or steps within a manual test script).  Of course, multiple test cases can be aggregated/executed within a test suite.  Finally, test cases and/or test suites can be associate to a test plan.

Richard Good selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Richard Good commented Sep 12 '17, 12:38 p.m. | edited Sep 12 '17, 1:22 p.m.

Read through all the documentation, the term keywords didn't make much sense at the time, seemed related to clouds and tags and not to me. Seems that was a mistake and the right way to go for my generic manual procedures. Keywords is such a rubbish term to describe this particular artefact, generic test steps would be so much better, if a little less catchy!!

Basically just have to go through turning a load of scripts into keywords and add them to specific test cases. Nothing else works as well for my use case, so I will adopt this method - thanks for the help.

One other answer

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813274) | answered Sep 12 '17, 10:03 a.m.

Hi Richard,

I found the following useful when looking at traceability:

https://jazz.net/library/article/1009  (good view against the V Model etc.)

https://jazz.net/library/article/1146

Good luck

Comments
Richard Good commented Sep 12 '17, 12:39 p.m.

Thanks for the pointers!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.