It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rank affects workitems

David Seddaoui (1127) | asked Sep 08 '17, 5:22 a.m.

Hello together,

in our project we faced the following problem.
I'm not sure if this is a CLM defect or if this is works as designed :)

Scenario (CLM 6.0.3 agile-template)

• Workitem was created in a projectArea (Filed Against and Summary)
  • Workitem was assigned to a specific user (Owned By)
  • This User ranked this workitem within the 'My Stuff view'
  • Afterwards the person recognized the story is not within his responsiblity
    • For this reason he deleted the owner within the workitem
  • After that he wanted to change the 'Filed Against' as the other responsible person is working in another team
  • But then he face the following error message: "Permission Denied. You don't have permission to perform the following actions: Modify the 'Rank' attribute (modify/com.ibm.team.apt.attribute.planitem.newRanking_pm7N...."
  • This error was only solveable after the user went in another plan and removed there the rank from the workitem

-> But we thought the rank is never assigned directly to a workitem as it is only assigned to the list in a plan view.

Somehow this isn't the case in the 'My Stuff view'. Within a plan view it's working like expected.

Cheers

David

Comments
Marko Tomljenovic commented Jan 23 '19, 10:04 a.m.
Hi Geoff,
I think the problem here is that changing the "Filed Against" seems to be affecting the ranking if I look at the error message.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 04 '19, 5:54 p.m. | edited Feb 04 '19, 5:55 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, my post was primarily about the last sentence: 

"we thought the rank is never assigned directly to a workitem as it is only assigned to the list in a plan view".
But my post has no explanation for why modifying the "Filed Against" property would change/remove the ranking.   If you are still interested, and can reproduce this behavior, I'd suggest filing a defect (and let me know what it is, so I can subscribe :-).

Note: I tried to demote my "answer" to be just a comment, but the system refused to let me do so (:-).

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 10 '17, 6:20 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 05 '18, 3:06 p.m.
Note: I am not a work item ranking expert, so anyone who is, please post a comment if I get any of this wrong.

One key fact to note is that a work item is either ranked or not (independent of what plan it is in).   An internal property is stored that indicates the relative ranking of that work item with all other work items in the repository, and then the absolute ranking of a given work item in a given plan is computed based on the relative ranking of that work item to the other work items in that plan.

So in the case above of logically moving a work item from one plan to another, if the work item has its internal ranking attribute set, the work item will end up modifying the absolute ranking of items in the destination plan, so you are only allowed to logically move a ranked work item to a new plan if you have permission to modify the rank ordering of work items in the new plan.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.