It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why won't this command stop WAS?

Matthew Clark (10711245) | asked Sep 07 '17, 9:43 p.m.

WAS version 8.5.5.11 running CLM 6.0.4

From this directory:
C:\IBM\Websphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\bin

I'm running this command:
stopServer.bat server1 -user **** -password ***

It used to stop WAS cleanly, now WebSphere just gets hung up and I have to kill the Java processes using Task Manager in order to stop the service. Any ideas as to why the command no longer stops WAS cleanly?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Sep 07 '17, 10:11 p.m.

What's the output of the command?

Matthew Clark commented Sep 07 '17, 10:29 p.m.

Running the command initially produces this response:

ADMU0116I: Tool information is being logged in file
           C:\IBM\Websphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\server1\stopServer.
log
ADMU7702I: Because server1 is registered to run as a Windows Service, the
           request to stop this server will be completed by stopping the
           associated Windows Service.
ADMU0116I: Tool information is being logged in file
           C:\IBM\Websphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\server1\stopServer.
log
ADMU0128I: Starting tool with the AppSrv01 profile
ADMU3100I: Reading configuration for server: server1

Matthew Clark commented Sep 07 '17, 10:30 p.m.

Matthew Clark commented Sep 07 '17, 10:31 p.m. | edited Sep 07 '17, 10:31 p.m.

oh wow! I can finally upload image attachments!!

I need to attached the stopServer.log, not a screenshot of it.

Matthew Clark commented Sep 07 '17, 10:35 p.m. | edited Sep 07 '17, 10:40 p.m.

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Sep 08 '17, 5:28 a.m.

I'm pretty sure if you remove the Windows service, you should be able to stop the process by the command. The message basically says that the WASService.exe command cannot attach to the WAS process (java.exe) due to certificate issues. The two processes are likely using different trust stores, and you will need to import the certificate from the WAS profile keystore, into the default trust store of the bundled JVM, particularly when you have replaced the WAS profile certificate. I haven't got time to tested it to give you the exact steps though.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSAW57_8.5.5/com.ibm.websphere.nd.doc/ae/rins_wasservice.html

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Sep 08 '17, 11:21 a.m.

I've seen this on interactive shutdown when a new SSL certificate was installed in the DefaultKeyStore.   The stopServer offers the ability to add the certificate "on the spot" and if the certificate is confirmed, then future stopServer commands will not be hindered.

i.e. run the stopServer.sh in a console, accept the certificate, run the startServer

Donald Nong commented Sep 14 '17, 12:14 a.m.

That's right, and I have seen it before. That's why I suggested removing the Windows service first - otherwise the task will be delegated to the Windows service (WASService.exe).

Matthew Clark commented Sep 26 '17, 9:22 p.m. | edited Sep 26 '17, 10:58 p.m.

Will simply uninstalling and reinstalling the service solve this? Or do I need to also import a certificate? It is not prompting me to add a cert "on the spot", so can you tell me which keystore I add the certificate to?

Donald Nong commented Sep 26 '17, 11:04 p.m.

Uninstalling the service does not necessarily "resolve" the issue, but it makes it interactive and easier to work with. If you don't get prompt to import the certificate on the spot, you can try to follow the instructions below.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSYGQH_5.5.0/admin/install/t_exchange_keys_network.html
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSKTXQ_9.0.0/admin/config/config_gw_ssl_interm_ca_clus.html
(The truststore/keystore location was mentioned in the error message that you posted)

Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented May 01 '20, 8:10 p.m.

Hello is there a final resolution? 

the links are broken, where and how do I sync the certs with the wndows service with WAS?

Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented May 01 '20, 9:40 p.m.

I found the solution, remove it from windows services, start it without windows service and then try to stop it it will prompt to accept the certificate and after that you can hook it back in a windows service and should work. 

thank you for all your help. 

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.