It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RTC is it possible to add values to a enumeration externally by user?

Jazz Queries (111221) | asked Sep 01 '17, 3:17 a.m.
retagged Sep 01 '17, 11:50 a.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Hi,

Is it possible to add values to a enumeration list externally by user.
Is it possible through external URI feature?

2 answers

permanent link
Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | answered Sep 01 '17, 6:23 a.m.

Hi,

yes, this is possible albeit not necessarily trivial.

The easiest way is to use the RTC UI editor for defining enumerations in the process template. For enumerations the static possible values can be modified and added there. However, only users with the right and know how to modify process template should get the permissions to do so.

If this is not sufficient you have to resort to work item customization. The keyword is value sets.
At your disposal you have:
- http filtered value sets --> your users would have to access / edit some XML document that is then parsed
- java script value sets --> making the java script read from some external source, e.g. a database or web service

If this is helpful please mark the answer as accepted.
- Arne

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 01 '17, 7:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 01 '17, 7:51 a.m.

There are different kinds of enumerations.

1. Enumerations that are stored in the process configuration (XML)
  2. Enumerations that are stored in the database

The first kind requires, as Arne explains, to be able to save the process configuration to be able to add/remove/update enumeration literals. A normal user usually does not have that permission because of the danger of them damaging the process.

The second kind is more flexible and can allow users to add literals. See https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_defining_priorities_severities.html .

cite

2. Select the enumeration that you want to edit, or click Add in the Choose the Enumeration to edit field to define a new enumeration. After the enumeration is selected, in the Enumeration section, click Add to add a literal to the enumeration.

Note: When you define a new enumeration, you can store it in the process specification or the database. If you store the enumeration in the database, you can add new values to the enumeration directly from the work item editor, even if you do not have permissions to modify the process specification. You still require permissions to add new values.

Please also note:

• Only someone who has permission to save the process configuration can create enumerations.
  • The decision where to store it is a one time decision and can not be changed.
  • Storing the enumeration in the database prevents this enumeration from participating in process sharing. It will not be available in the sharing project areas as far as I recall.

Comments
Ulf Arne Bister commented Sep 01 '17, 10:32 a.m.

Duh!
Yes, I totally forgot you can do that. Fortunately Ralph pointed this out so please forget the work item customization solutions.
Yes, your users can add new literals :-)

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 01 '17, 11:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

One major caveat:  The second kind of enumeration (database enumerations) does not work in a project area that gets its process via sharing from another project area.

Jazz Queries commented Sep 04 '17, 6:09 a.m.

I create a new enumeration artifact with database as storage. I tested with a team member role to add an enumeration values but it failed with a message as 

"The 'Project areas' operation cannot be completed. "Modify collections of process attachments" permission is required to complete the operation.ID CRJAZ6053E"

Also how to set permission to add a new value?

Jazz Queries commented Sep 04 '17, 6:25 a.m.

Also I did give permission for team member role to save enumeration for the new value.  But with out Modify Process attachment the save is not working. Once that permission is given the team member has more power I believe.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.