It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Multi parents in RTC?

Candy Yi (112) | asked Aug 30 '17, 7:37 p.m.

Hi,

My project has run into a situation that one story contributes to multiple epic, which means one story needs to have multiple parents. I don't see RTC can support multi parents at the moment, so thinking instead, can multi copies be created for the story and put under each related epic, and then when the status of the master story gets updated, the status of those copies get updated automatically as well?

Thanks!

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 31 '17, 2:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Parent child is (and always has been) 1:N so only one parent.

A copy of a work item is just that, a copy. Any changes to its values is only to this value, the other copies are their own instances hence have their own values and lifecycle.

To some extent you can use Tracks/Contributes to links which support N:M relationships. However, there is no aggregation of things like story points etc available across this link type.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 31 '17, 4:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

What semantics were you trying to capture with the "parent" relationship?

The pre-defined parent relationship has a variety of semantics, including work breakdown cost, i.e. which higher-level aggregation work item should be assigned the "cost" of executing that work item.   That is one reason a work item can have only a single parent, because otherwise that cost would be multiply counted, resulting in an incorrect overall cost for the project.
I'm guessing that you are looking for some kind of "depends on" relationship ... i.e. the parent is not done until that child is done.   You wouldn't use the pre-defined parent relationship for that.   You could use Tracks, as Ralph suggests, or one of the other pre-defined relationships (but you would probably have to implement the semantics you want with custom pre-conditions).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.