It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Reference to chapters possible in DNG?

Laura Illing (234) | asked Aug 30 '17, 10:27 a.m.

Hello,

I was wondering, if it is possible to reference to another chapter in a requirement artifact.

For example:
I have a heading "  First Chapter", and a Requirement saying "[...] refer to Chapter 1".

Is it possible to put a placeholder for the number "1" in "Chapter 1", referring to the chapter number in the heading?
The goal is to be independent of a change in the chapter number (which is generated automatically by DNG)...

Thanks,
Laura

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | answered Aug 30 '17, 11:54 a.m.

Laura,
since the chapter numbers are indeed generated automatically by DNG in the context of a module to display the hierarchy of Headings they are not part of the Heading artifacts, thus cannot be referenced when linked.
To sort of achieve what you might try I suggest creating link types "refers / referred to" or use the "link to" and "link from" linked types, show the link types explicitely in the view of a module and instead of putting the reference in the text of the requirement, explicitely "refer to" link the requirement to the respective chapters (of type Heading). They will show with their artifact id::chapter title, but at least that will reflect the actual chapter artifact, always up to date and easy to look at via hover-over or by clicking.
Since to achieve exactly what you are looking for is not possible today as far as I know I suggest opening an enhancement request on jazz.net against DNG if this approach is not sufficient.

If this makes sense and helps you please mark the answer as accepted.

- Arne

Laura Illing selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Laura Illing (234) | answered Aug 31 '17, 4:48 a.m.

Hi Arne,

thanks for your input!
The idea with the links sounds good, however it also doesn't work the way I need it.
If I create the link it shows me the automatically generated heading number (e.g. 1.1 Heading).
So far so good.
However - if I insert another Heading before that, and my original Heading will become 1.2 Heading, the number shown in the link won't be updated!

So I actually might open an enhancement request ;)

Thanks for the information!!

Laura

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.