It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do i perform a mass import of User Stories in RTC?

A S (58530) | asked Aug 24 '17, 4:11 p.m.
retagged Sep 01 '17, 11:49 a.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

I need to import User stories with limited fields into an existing Stories area for the project.  the file has 4 fields while the Story schema for the project has many times more.. Can I link the Requirements field to the imported with the record to the one in DOORs?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Aug 25 '17, 2:18 a.m.

It appears that you're talking about something very specific to your environment. Others may not understand what you're trying to do if you don't provide more details.

3 answers

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Sep 01 '17, 11:49 a.m.

Comments
A S commented Sep 05 '17, 9:58 a.m.

Thanks Ken.

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k1134138) | answered Aug 25 '17, 12:58 p.m.
edited Aug 25 '17, 1:00 p.m.

basically you have to ensure that you map the column headings of your spreadsheet to the field names in the user story work item in the system.  You MUST include the Type field which is the work item you are importing into. You must also ensure that any fields that you're importing that are "enumerated" that the values match exactly e.g. High versus high will not setup correctly.  Additionally if there is any operational behaviour on your work item e.g. mandatory fields required on creation, they must also be populated in your spreadsheet otherwise they will not load.

You create your spreadsheet, save it as CSV, then you use the eclipse client (unless you're using RTC 6.0.3 or higher) to import work items from CSV.

Not sure about the linkage, you'd have to export out a sample from RTC with a link to a requirement - typically its just the ID number but you need to get the column heading right as that's what drives the "hook up"

Comments
A S commented Sep 01 '17, 9:59 a.m.

I decided to do it manually because there were too many inconsistencies between the fields they wanted me to import versus the ones already existing in the Story work item.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 25 '17, 6:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 25 '17, 6:47 a.m.

The only ways I am aware of that allow importing work items are

CSV import is built in like Bugzilla, but there are limitations what can be done especially when recreating work item links or links to other items.

The unsupported Work Item Command Line is an alternative for the built in import, where you can create your own logic. If can create links to other items in some cases. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.