It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Build providers - project area verses app properties

Norman Dignard (356688168) | asked Aug 03 '17, 9:06 a.m.
retagged Aug 11 '17, 1:46 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

I need some clarification on defining a build provider in RQM  v602. We are using CLM setup having multiple CLM projects. 

In a QM PA  project properties, you can configure the build provider to a RTC PA.  In doing so, users can see the builds in RTC within the QM project.  

So what does setting this up per the online docs ( Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management 6.0.2 > Rational Quality Manager > Testing > Managing product builds : Configuring RTC as your build provider )  provide?

I'm trying to understand the functional differences between theses 2 configuration settings, one per project area verses application layer settings.   Obviously configuring at the application layer would affect all users but to what extent?

Norm

3 answers

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Aug 09 '17, 8:07 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Norm,

For the jazz.net forum issues, please submit a bug (see https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Community%20Feedback#action=com.ibm.team.dashboard.viewDashboard).

After the administrator configures the RQM/RTC build integration, an asynchronous task runs every configurable period of time (see Advanced Properties >> Build Integration Framework >> com.ibm.rqm.buildintegration.service.asynctask.RTCBuildInformationCollector) to pull RTC build definitions and records (non-personal builds only) from the RTC project area into the RQM project area.  It's scoped to project area.  In RQM, you can then see the RTC builds in the Builds >> Browse >> Build Records and Builds >> Browse >> Build Definitions list views.  These RTC builds can now be linked from RQM test artifacts.  Finally, you can schedule a test execution to trigger when a RTC build completes.  See Managing product builds for more details.

permanent link
Norman Dignard (356688168) | answered Aug 09 '17, 7:42 a.m.

I don't know what wrong with this forum as it's not working correctly for me. When using IE, after login and trying to reply to someone's response, it gives it to me as if I'm not logged in so i cannot save. Using Chrome, it keeps me logged in but can save a response to a comment. All I can do is answer my own question, go figure.

Paul - thanks for the response however your reply does not clarify this for me.

I understand the friendship between apps. We have that established on initial setup. As we create projects (we have many, typically one per system) , we create CLM projects (RM, CM, QM) which establishes inter-project relations.  I get that.  We then configure the RQM PA to use a RTC PA as the build provider.  This works without additional config changes at the app level.

So what does setting up the configuration as defined in the online docs Rational Quality Manager > Testing > Managing product builds give me? This is what I don't fully understand.  This is an admin task that project users don't have access too.  As we run many CLM projects, some SCRUM, some SAFe,  some Formal, in different environments and tools, does this affect them all, and if so to what end?    From initial appearances, it looks like an additional configuration option that does nothing or am I missing something.

Norm

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Aug 08 '17, 6:28 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Norm,

Creating a friendship between two CLM applications allows (rather, is required for) those applications to communicate.  It does not infer any particular integration, but allows administrators to configure an integration, such as the RQM/RTC build integration.  The RQM/RTC build integration is configured on a RQM project area, associating it to a RTC project.  Once configured, all non-personal builds are synchronized from RTC to RQM allowing RQM users to see/link to RTC builds in the RQM web UI.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.