It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RTC 6.0.4 there is a new permission called Check-in (server) - what is this for?

Donna Thomas (14122548) | asked Jul 28 '17, 12:29 p.m.

Hi there,

In RTC 6.0.4, there is a new Team Permission under Source Control called Check-in (server). What does this affect? The description in the application does little to explain it in detail.

Thank you

Comments
Donna Thomas commented Jul 28 '17, 12:43 p.m.

Just FYI - I know what "checking-in" means - but the old permissions are still there and we could check-in then. We just want to know what this is giving (or not giving) permission to accomplish in the tool.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 30 '17, 3:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Donna ... I'm checking with Dev ... please stay tuned ...

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 31 '17, 2:12 a.m.

I have confirmed with RTC development that this is a bug ... this permission is a no-op and should not be shown.

Donna Thomas selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Salman Shaikh (23412873) | answered Jul 30 '17, 5:31 a.m.

Operation: Check-in (server): Runs before check-in of resources. Affects components that are owned by the process area. An extension point for check-in operations is also available so that you can write your own preconditions.

The following server-side preconditions are available for source control check-in operations. You can set them in either the Eclipse client or web client.

Restrict File Size This precondition prevents users from checking in files that exceed a specified size limit.
Restrict Check-in of Resources with the Same Name This precondition prevents users from checking in a resource if another resource in the same location has the same name, even when the capitalization differs. Because Windows systems ignore capitalization and Linux systems do not, this precondition can help avoid conflicts in projects where developers use both platforms.
Restrict Check-in Based on Specified MIME Types and Encodings This precondition prevents users from checking in files if the MIME type or encoding are not permitted for the process area.
Restrict Change Set Size This precondition ensures that the number of changes in each change set does not exceed the value specified when configuring the precondition.

I think above information clearly Defines the purpose of this precondition. If you find the answer helpful please mark it as Accepted Answer.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 30 '17, 8:33 a.m.

These are the new server-side preconditions, and those are well documented.

Donna's question is about the new checkin permission.   That is not documented, and it is unclear what function it performs.   One would think it would allow/disallow checking in to a component, but according to my testing, it has no effect ... you can checkin without this permission being set for any of your roles.

Salman Shaikh commented Jul 30 '17, 8:55 a.m. | edited Jul 30 '17, 8:56 a.m.

I have tested regarding Restrict Check-in Based on Specified MIME Types and Encodings and this condition was working fine.   

Please check this question as well. : https://jazz.net/forum/questions/237311/force-files-to-be-in-utf-8-format-for-checking-in-the-code

Donna Thomas commented Jul 30 '17, 10:00 a.m.

As Geoffrey wrote, I'm not looking at the new preconditions or any Operational Behavior. In the permissions, there is a new permission directly under Source Control in Team Permissions (as you can see in Eclipse). Literally just is named "Check-in (server)". That's what I'm talking about.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.