It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

why my link to RTC disappear in RM with Global Configuration enabled?

jane zhou (106764) | asked Jul 12 '17, 11:15 a.m.
retagged Jan 16 '18, 12:59 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hi Some one who may concern,

I am working on CLM 6.0.3.
          I created a GC stream to contain stream from RM and RQM .
          And I add a link in one artifact in RM to a Defect in RTC, with the same GC by modifying Plan for field. I can see this defect by marking "Show only Work Items related to the current Global Configuration". 
          Then I can see the link show both in RM and RTC, i.e. in RM,   When I select this artifact, I can see the link to defect,  in RTC, when I select this defect, I can see the link to the artifact.
           However, after 10 minutes, when I check again, I found the link in RTC  to RM is still there, but the link in RM to RTC disappears.  I have double checked, I am in the same Global Configuration Stream. And when I click the link in RTC, I can access the artifact in RM properly.

I am wondering why the link to RTC disappears in RM ?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jane Zhou

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kathryn Fryer (503147) | answered Jul 14 '17, 11:25 p.m.

Hi Jane,
Further to Don's response... when configuration management is enabled, linking is directional. One artifact "owns" and stores the link information as part of its attributes, and also publishes that link information in the TRS feed to LDX. The target artifact's application checks LDX for incoming links and displays those when you open it. The configuration context is required for the versioned artifacts. As the Knowledge Centre article explains, RTC "owns" any links from RTC artifacts, including work items, to any other domain artifacts (requirements, tests, designs). So the link is stored only in the work item, and the requirement has to get the link information from LDX.

Although RTC work items aren't versioned, if you want to link them to versioned artifacts (like requirements), they need to be able to understand configuration context. You need to define Releases, associate them to iterations, and use the link/attribute mappings to set up the association to global configurations. This video shows you more about that.
(You can add an RTC stream to the GC, but as you point out, that is for source code artifacts only. Work items don't have configurations because they aren't versioned.)

So make sure you have configured RTC correctly with the desired GC associations. Also make sure you're using the right attribute for the link type - for example, the default mappings use "planned-for" values for "implemented by" links, but "found-in" for "affected by". 
Make sure LDX is installed, and check LDX admin (https://server:port/ldx/web/admin/home) to make sure the TRS feeds are updating correctly. You can also reindex the RTC feed from LDX admin if anything looks amiss.

Hope that helps.

jane zhou selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
jane zhou commented Jul 17 '17, 3:29 p.m.

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for your detailed explanation!
       We have configured RTC for the release: configure all items at  Configuration Management - OSLC Link/Attribute Mapping to point to "Derived from plan for". Create Release by connecting timeline with  related GC stream. 
       So, we are afraid the issue is related to LDX, i.e. it can not update properly. Because we can see link some time,then it disappear...  We have asked IT admin for help because we have no permission to check it. Hope it can resolve the issue.
        Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Jane Zhou

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 21 '17, 4:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, if after you have turned on configuration management in DNG, and set of the appropriate iteration/release/GC information in RTC, and then in the DNG artifact links tab you can see the linked RTC work item, if subsequently that link disappears without you have modifying any of the RTC iteration/release/GC information, or the planned-for attribute of that work item, then that is a bug, and working with IBM support is the right approach.

2 other answers

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Jul 12 '17, 9:28 p.m.

Hi, Jane

Referring to the below to find out why the backlink from RM to RTC disappeared after you enabled the GCM.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.3/com.ibm.jazz.vvc.doc/topics/c_cm_linking_admin.html

permanent link
Penchala suman (461425) | answered Jul 12 '17, 11:24 a.m.

May be you have to add RTC stream(default or any stream was created on that project) in GC Stream to show your RTC workitem link in RM artifacts.

Thanks,
-Penchal

Comments
jane zhou commented Jul 12 '17, 12:05 p.m.

Hi Penchal,

Thanks for your reply!
         We did not use RTC to manage our source code, we only use RTC to trace defects/ tasks...so I am afraid we have no RTC stream.
        Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jane Zhou

Penchala suman commented Jul 13 '17, 4:32 a.m.

I also face the same issue when i was configuring GCM, after adding default RTC stream to GC stream, it appeared all missing links from RM artifacts. Since I'm not using Idx in my system. I thing nothing will harm adding RTC stream to GC stream.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.