It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is Quality Manager capable of testing a requirement artifact?

Timothy Distel (73146) | asked Jun 20 '17, 3:29 p.m.

I have been told to use a Requirements Management sandbox to input questions as requirements, add a custom attribute providing an answer, and generate a test case that will test based on this custom attribute in Quality Management for each requirement. Is Quality Manager even capable of testing requirement artifacts?

3 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jun 21 '17, 8:22 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Additionally RQM can invoke automated tests and record/report the results. See the test execution framework in the product documentation. But RQM does not provide "executable test specifications" in the sense that Cucumber does.

With DOORS NG and RQM you can create a set of requirements in a "module" or "collection" in DOORS NG, associate them with a test plan in RQM, and auto-generate test cases and links to the requirements. You can query/filter the requirements based on the status of the tests. But you still have to write and execute the actual test case contents.

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Jun 21 '17, 3:47 a.m.

The question is very broad so it is not clear what is testing criteria for using QM to test requirement.
test script can link to test requirement so does test case. If a test script reflects what the requirement artifact would do,
running test case with test script and its result can be considered as a test scenario of requirement artifact. That's one thought.

Comments
Timothy Distel commented Jun 21 '17, 8:55 a.m.

I would like the test case to look at an attribute of a requirement artifact that has 3 scenarios, (Yes, No, N/A) and pass those that are designated yes, and fail those designated no. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don Yang commented Jun 21 '17, 9:45 p.m.

I don't see the way to automate the process in RQM to test what you want. I guess you can do that via a manual script linking to your requirement artifacts and run it manually.

permanent link
Bas Bekker (1.4k4) | answered Jun 20 '17, 4:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Mmm describe what you expect quality manager should actually do 'testing' requirements?
Quality manager described very short is for developing, executing and reporting on test plans.
Test plans verify that the product you are developing comply with the requirements you wrote for your product. So  'testing' requirements artifacts sounds off in this context.

On the other hand, if you are looking into developing your skill on writing tools and integration with the Jazz products, maybe your are looking for the OSLC API's, the open standard way to programmatically integrate with the Jazz products. There is an elaborate workshop to get you started here OSLC Workshop article.

Comments
Timothy Distel commented Jun 21 '17, 8:27 a.m.

Bas, I appreciate the information. In response to your question, I would like the test case to look at an attribute of a requirement artifact that has 3 scenarios, (Yes, No, N/A) and pass those that are designated yes, and fail those designated no. 

Bas Bekker commented Jun 21 '17, 10:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Your welcome, but still doesn't make sense what you want to do with the intended usage of the Rational CLM suite of products.
See this (somewhat old but still useful) video for the concepts and how to products interact: https://youtu.be/t7EK-RfjhcY?list=PLBF9C3B5B56EAA85E

Again, if you want to programmatically interact with the products, looks at the OSLC workshop. I am not a Quality Manager expert, but don't think the product can do what you stated (and reiterate that it doesn't make sense to do what you want to do).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.