It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Generate work items from requirements

Dolores Vogel (1031336) | asked Jun 09 '17, 4:41 p.m.

When I go to the Links tab of a development plan, link a collection, and then generate work items based on the requirements in the collection, I can only create user stories. Is there a way to select the type of work item I want to create? If not, is there a setting I need to define to create a different work item type when I generate the work items?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala (55133) | answered Jun 12 '17, 2:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This works as designed. In the project area, you can configure work item types as plan items and execution items. This can be done in eclipse client as well as in web client. When creating work items from requirements, it gets the list of plan items configured in the project and uses the first one from the list. If you need this to be configurable, please open an enhancement for the same.

Sharoon
Tracking and Planning
Technical lead

Dolores Vogel selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dolores Vogel commented Jun 13 '17, 9:23 a.m.

Thanks! I was looking at the plan items, but I couldn't figure out if I could set one as the default for automatically generating the work items. It would be nice if you could select work item type in the wizard, so I'll submit an enhancement request. 

2 other answers

permanent link
Jan Jancar (736) | answered May 09 '18, 1:00 a.m.

This should be possible. Open RTC Eclipse. Click on Project Area -> Open > Process Configuration -> Change Management Type Binding > Implementation Request > CHANGE Work Item Type. I hope this helps.

Comments
Dolores Vogel commented May 09 '18, 10:27 a.m.

I tried that. I see nothing in my Process Configuration that says "Change Management Type Binding" so I'm not sure how to test it. 

Jan Jancar commented May 09 '18, 10:48 a.m.

I see that 2 steps are missing in my instructions. Sorry. Try this:

Project Area -> Open > Process (Project) Configuration -> Configuration Data > Work Items > Change Management Type Binding > Implementation Request > CHANGE Work Item Type

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jun 12 '17, 3:53 a.m.

With the current implementation, if you really want to choose a different work item type, you have to go into RDNG and manually create the "Implemented By" link for each requirement.

Comments
Dolores Vogel commented Jun 13 '17, 9:25 a.m.

I wasn't trying to affect link types. I was using the generate work items function that you can access on the Links tab of a development plan in RTC. With our configuration, I can only create user stories with that functionality. The above answer clarifies. Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.