It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Process/Approach for reporting on users in projects and their permissions/roles across CLM

Fred Bickford (281632) | asked Jun 09 '17, 10:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Curious what people have done to address the ability to report on members of a projects and their assigned roles/permissions via programatically ?

I know some gets used by the UI like:

can pull back XML with membership information, yet looking to see what people use in any/all of the CLM apps to determine who is in what project and what capabilities they

One answer

permanent link
Peter Hodges (3317) | answered Jun 09 '17, 11:03 a.m.

Hi Fred,

While RTC has been ramping up more and more in my company, the other CLM apps are just waking up. So I won't be able to help too much in the DNG/RQM space, but hopefully I can point you to some stuff to help with RTC.

We tried a few different techniques, starting with the REST API but ultimately we landed on the Java Plain Client Libraries.

We use them to output a pivotable spreadsheet displaying:
USERNAME | DISPLAY NAME | PROJECT | PROCESS AREA | ROLE

So we can roll it up as needed.

It took us about 2-3 weeks to really get started, but the Plain Client Libraries seems to be the way to go. Once you get used to it, it's relatively easy to grab all the projects in RTC and then loop all team areas in all of them to get users and permissions.

If that is a path you want to go down, you should check out Ralph's blog here. This post will walk through setting up the libraries and using them effectively. 

I would definitely check out Ralph's post here. I would read up to and including resolving handles. If you're already comfortable in Java, this post can take you to the process area and tell you contributor roles inside of it.

Peter

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.