It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

effective estimation for a story WI

Eliah Ninyo (21315) | asked Jun 08 '17, 6:30 a.m.

hi,

I'm using version 6.0.1.

in each iteration I have user stories and the child WI of any user story is a task (or defect). each task has effective estimation.

but the effective estimation of the story, which is the father of all those tasks, doesn't add up to the sum of all child's tasks.

is there something to do?

thanks!

Comments
Don Yang commented Jun 09 '17, 2:29 a.m.

Do you mean you see Story has 'effective estimation' as '-' in the plan view? if that is the case, it is expected as the effective estimate is not editable if the work item is a Plan Item. (story is a plan item by default).
If that is not what your concern is, please elaborate where you are looking at the effective estimation of the story.

Eliah Ninyo commented Jun 11 '17, 3:23 a.m.

yes, this is what I meant.

I see the effective estimation is not editable, but I expected it to be the sum of all child work items' effective estimation. is there an option to have it summarize all Childs?

also when I have a task WI and I define child tasks for it, I don't see the effective estimation adds up to the father task with all the child tasks details.

Don Yang commented Jun 12 '17, 2:22 a.m.

I don't think there is a way to have plan item(Story etc) effective estimation be the sum of the its child work items' effective estimation.

Maybe someone else can comment further here.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 12 '17, 2:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Plans do some roll up from children to parents and show the roll up. Without any context or numbers it is impossible to answer anything. There is just not enough information to comment. 

Eliah Ninyo commented Jun 12 '17, 2:55 a.m.

hi,

thanks for the answers.

what more information do you need? unfortunately, I connot add a screenshot, but you can reproduce it - create a story, then create child tasks to it. give the tasks. assign the task with effective estimation. the you can see that the column of effective estimation of the parent story is still "--".

I hope it helps.

One answer

permanent link
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala (55133) | answered Jun 12 '17, 4:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The purpose of the effective estimate is to mirror the corrected estimate if set, else the (original) estimate. This way you do not have to add two columns estimate and corrected estimate. The work item type Story does not have estimate or corrected estimate attributes defined hence it will have no values which is why Effective Estimate will not show any values. In order to see rolled up values for child stories or child tasks, you can add the Progress column, it will show the rolled up values as shown in the screenshot below.

Info icon message on hover

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 12 '17, 5:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks Sharoon, I simply missed to make the connection. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.