It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Limitation on Number of Chars in RPE API for Requirement/Summary attribute

Madhuri Neerukonda (2129) | asked Jun 05 '17, 5:37 p.m.

I developed custom RPE report to list all test cases with linked requirements . I used feed/entry/content/testcase/requirement/Summary, re-portable REST API . The problem is - RPE is cutting off Requirement summary filed after 254 or 253 chars, is there any limitation on number chars that re-portable REST API displays.

Here is my query
https://<server name>/qm/service/com.ibm.rqm.integration.service.IIntegrationService/resources/_xVVfIPd8EeWqjYqW-NOuwg/testcase?fields=feed/entry/content/testcase/(*|testplan[@href='<server-name>/qm/service/com.ibm.rqm.integration.service.IIntegrationService/resources/_xVVfIPd8EeWqjYqW-NOuwg/testplan/urn:com.ibm.rqm:testplan:298'])

Comments
Kumaraswamy Gowda commented Jun 05 '17, 10:45 p.m.

Hi Madhuri,

You could verify data exposed through API yourself. Let us know if the data is truncated in the XML.
https://rpeactual.com/2013/11/22/how-to-get-the-xml-data-used-by-rpe/

Additional, you could hit the URL in the browser and verify too.

Regards,
Kumar

Madhuri Neerukonda commented Jun 06 '17, 3:42 p.m.

xml data got truncated

4 answers

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Jun 06 '17, 6:21 a.m.

You are right. To get the full / current title of requirement, you should iterate over testcase/requirement traceability links, follow each link to the resource artifact in DOORS NG and print details of the requirement. Also note that testcase/requirement/summary will return requirement title provided by RM at the time the link was created (and not  the current title). You can find this information in the schema annotation.

You should modify the template to get latest / full requirement title.

permanent link
Madhuri Neerukonda (2129) | answered Jun 06 '17, 3:40 p.m.

Thank you for  your response. 

1. I am really looking for requirement description, not requirement title, but I don't see the API to pull Requirement description. 

As part of the testcase/requirement/Summary--->it is displaying the summary field which is ID:Title, I expected ID:req Description. Is there any way to get the full Requirement description ?

2. What is the difference in directly pulling the data for summary verses ID and Title separately like you did ? How do I create _resource datasource ?

3. Kumar
I checked through XML - Preview data in RPE, XML itself is truncating the data. so generated word doc also producing the truncated data.

permanent link
Madhuri Neerukonda (2129) | answered Jun 06 '17, 3:43 p.m.

How do I pull the requirement description ?

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Jun 07 '17, 3:01 a.m.
  1. RQM API does not provide requirement description. You can get requirement description (and other details) from DNG API.
  2. When you use testcase/requirement/summary, you are getting ReqID + title from RQM API. Apart from max. length limitation, there is no guarantee that testcase/requirement/summary corresponds to the current requirement title. Hence it is recommended to get the data from DNG API.
    You can add DNG resources schema in RPE template, configure the datasource dynamically (by setting its URL to value derived from testcase/requirement/href and use dataSource/artifact/description to print requirement description.
    You can refer the sample RPE template that prints requirement description.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.