It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How is the Jazz data warehouse migrated from vendor DB to another?

Steve Mills (5111) | asked May 22 '17, 3:31 p.m.

We are running CLM 5.0.2 iFix15 with RTC and DNG on linux under WAS 8.5 with a DB2 DB.  We are migrating our DBs from DB2 to Oracle.

I have found the documentation on how migrate DB vendors usinge the repotools-<APP> -export( and -import) commands to generate the ".tar" files for each of the application databases, but I don't see or understand how the data warehouse data is handled in this process.   Each of my application "teamserver.properties" files has a jdbc connection to the specific application database, but each also contains a jdbc connection to the common data warehouse database.

So following this overly simplistic example,  would expect:

repotools-jts -export to export just the JTSs application data from the database defined at:com.ibm.team.repository.db.jdbc.location=

repotools-ccm -export to export just the RTC application data from the database defined at:com.ibm.team.repository.db.jdbc.location=

repotools-rmts -export to export just the RRC/DNG application data from the database defined at:com.ibm.team.repository.db.jdbc.location=

Can someone tell me how the data warehouse is migrated or what command(s) are used for export/import for the data warehouse (defined at: com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.db.jdbc.location=)?

Thanks, Steve

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented May 22 '17, 4:45 p.m. | edited May 22 '17, 4:45 p.m.

You can do db2move export to get the tables into a collection of ixf files.  I don't know if Oracle can read'm though.

4 answers

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered May 23 '17, 9:02 a.m.
edited May 23 '17, 9:03 a.m.

Hello Kevin,

the data warehouse structure between Oracle and DB2 is very different, so I don't expect a generic migration tool to work properly.
You can see more details on how the 2 data warehouse are created in these wiki pages:

Oracle: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/MoreControlOverTheOracleDataWarehouseSetup
DB2: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/MoreControlOverTheDB2DataWarehouseSetup

In the Oracle data warehouse the DB2 schemas are implemented as inactive DB users owning the objects.

Best Regards
Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented May 23 '17, 2:04 p.m.

Fair enough.   My thinking is that the schema would be somewhat portable.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered May 23 '17, 8:35 a.m.

See:  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/migration/db2-084087.html

I'd be reluctant to toss aside historical warehouse data if it is even slightly possible to migrate.

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered May 23 '17, 6:39 a.m.

Hello Steve,

Ralph is correct. You will need to recreate the data warehouse from scratch on the new DBMS.

On the topic of what you will lose, all the historical trends and metrics cannot be recreated.
So you will have the reports based on metrics only showing data from the day the first ETL on the new data warehouse is run onward.
For example this means the Burnup/Burndown reports will be broken for all the sprints in progress.
They will start again to work as intended for the sprints created after the data warehouse change.

Best Regards,
Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Steve Mills commented May 23 '17, 8:25 a.m.

Thanks Ralph and Francesco.  I am a little disappointed that any past trending data will be lost, but glad to have that expectation set and known.  This also clears up my confusion on the topic and will allow me to move forward,

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 23 '17, 5:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As far as I can tell, there is no repotools export for the data warehouse. I think you will have to create with a new database and the data warehouse will have to be recreated from the application data. There might be some data e.g. for build results that are already deleted, that might not be possible to recreate.

Please check this page in the deployment Wiki for more information https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/DeploymentMigratingAndEvolving 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.