It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Performance in a project with many members

David MICHEL (1472448) | asked May 10 '17, 9:06 a.m.

Hello,
    We have declared 5800 users to one project. We remark many slowness. Now it's difficult to administrate the project.
Could you know if it's normal ? Do you know if there is some limit to declare member in one project ?

Thank you for your return

Best regards

David

One answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered May 10 '17, 11:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 10 '17, 11:52 a.m.

Hi David,

If you could help us out a little with which application (RTC, RQM, DNG) you're referring to and also whether your use case is for all 5800 users to be active in one project or whether that's just the amount of say LDAP users available.

Also, what roles did you assign to them all?  We have seen issues with more than 1,000 users and recommend that you use the Everyone role to grant access and permissions to most users, and add only selected users as project area members (e.g. to grant them additional permissions.)

However 5,800 is pretty large so I wonder if you have other scale issues here.  If you could provide a little more detail around your situation and goal I will hopefully be able to give you a more accurate answer, although already I am confirming what you say is not unexpected!

Thanks,
Paul

Comments
David MICHEL commented May 11 '17, 4:30 a.m.

Hi Paul,
    Thank you for your return.
Our issue is for RTC application and it occurs when we add users in section "members" of the project area.
We have defined a specific role for this project. So No user is "everyone" role. I will think the impact to use everyone.
What kind of issue do you have with more 1000 user ?

Thanks

David

Ralph Schoon commented May 11 '17, 4:39 a.m. | edited May 11 '17, 4:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

David, every user that has access to a project area automatically has the Everyone role. You want to look here for the basics: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RTCProcessFundamentals#Roles

The issue here, I guess, is that the process engine has to iterate over all the users and roles and permissions every time an operation is executed and that causes increased execution times.

By not having thousands of users as members of a team area or project area, but having the everyone role being able to perform the operations, it is possible to reduce said time and speed up execution.

David MICHEL commented May 11 '17, 8:03 a.m.

Thank for you return and advice.
I will try to describe better my request and I will come back.

Best regards

David

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.