It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is There A Way To Show Related Defects On A New TCER?

James Paulus (20622035) | asked May 04 '17, 10:36 a.m.
retagged May 19 '17, 1:26 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hello,

Reading through the documentation listed here: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSYMRC_6.0.3/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/qm_c_defects_reports.html

it mentions that related defects are associated to a particular TCER.   Is there a way that when the tester creates a new TCER, they can see the related defects that have been found on that particular test case in the right hand window?   My testing shows that the only time the "Related Defects" will populate is if you are using the same TCER, and I'm hoping it can go across TCER in some way.

I tested this on our current version of 5.0.2, but it appears that this is also a problem with 6.0.3.

8 answers

permanent link
James Paulus (20622035) | answered Jan 31 '18, 9:33 a.m.

An update on this ticket.   I ended up putting a support ticket in and it is a program defect with 6.0.4 (including the latest iFix of 6).   I'm not sure if this is resolved in 6.0.5 or not, but the support team was able to replicate the issue on their end as well.

permanent link
Thao Nguyen (37334) | answered Jan 14 '18, 8:50 p.m.
edited Jan 14 '18, 11:30 p.m.

Thanks Krupa, it is useful

Can you confirm:
- Look we need to go inside each TC (browse to TCER section) to see related defects of its generated TCERs? I hope it can be just a column of related defects in TC view
- Or if we use TCER view, there are many TCERs which belong to one TC, if each TCER has same related defects, so this (TCER) view contains duplicated information about related defects according to how many TCER was generated for that TC?

So my intention is to have relationship between TC and all related defects. Here TC is unique, so we do not have duplicated information about related defects as we do not mention about TCER

permanent link
Krupa Gunhalkar (4512) | answered Jan 12 '18, 8:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi James,

As shown in the Very first answer to this question, Related Defects panel should show information of the defects and I have attached screenshot as well while running a TCER.
If for any case it is not displayed the required information on your setup, please raise a defect for it.

Thanks,
Krupa Gunhalkar

permanent link
Krupa Gunhalkar (4512) | answered Jan 12 '18, 8:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Nguyen,

Yes Not Run TCER is different from "ran TCER" as it would have been serving different purpose for different iterations. Meaning, Not Run TCER might have been created by a test lead for upcoming sprint where in the already "ran TCER " might be for the current sprint or previous sprint. There are cases where you can create TCERS for the same test case for each sprint though you know the defect is not yet fixed. But to have the coverage and for tracking purpose, we need to create TCER and run it as well and may be sometimes the issue might crop up totally different altogether in the next iteration.

I am attaching one of the screenshots where you can Browse teh TCERs table list view with the showed columns where it shows different TCERS for the same test case with the Final Verdict being Diff. And also you can see a defect column which will list the associated defects for that test case for a particular TCER.

Also, if you open the test case, and check the TCER section of the test case, Related Change Requests panel shows all the defects logged for this particular test case.

Hope this helps.

Comments
Krupa Gunhalkar commented Jan 12 '18, 8:23 a.m. | edited Jan 12 '18, 8:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Test

One more Example

James Paulus commented Jan 12 '18, 8:50 a.m.

Krupa,

What I would like to see is during the execution to show the "Related Defects".   If I remember correctly, this was appearing in the 4.0.X versions and now it is not.

permanent link
Thao Nguyen (37334) | answered Jan 12 '18, 4:04 a.m.

Hi Krupa,

Do you mean that "Not Run Yet" TCER is different from "ran TCER" with defect regarding test environment? 

In my case, we have the situation that
- One test plan was ran, TCER related to one  test case and specific Test environment (let's call it TE-1) were marked with defect. This defect is not fixed yet
- Another iteration comes out, this defect is still not fixed yet and we know that it has same results on remaining Test Environments we have. So we do not want to include Test Case or generate any TCERs related to that Test Case 
Is it possible to do this purpose with what you mentioned in your screenshot?

Or do we have any view to see relationship between Test Case and related Defects (of TCER generated from that Test Case)

permanent link
Dawn McMannama (515) | answered May 05 '17, 10:36 a.m.

Krupa,

I have questions because the answer to the original question by James can impact testing that our team is doing.

1)  The example provided shows one TCER and it's related defects.  Do you have results for another TCER for the same test case that shows the same defects?

2)  Can you provide a Help link that documents this is the behavior we should expect?

Thank you.

Dawn

permanent link
Krupa Gunhalkar (4512) | answered May 05 '17, 7:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi James,

Related Defects is displayed as mentioned by you on the right had side in a frame like UI for the NEW TCER as well if that particular test case has failed before and has an associated defect in its previous TCERs as shown below. So yes, as you mentioned, any TCER associated with that particular test case will display the Related Defects data as shown below.

Thanks,
Krupa Gunhalkar

permanent link
Krupa Gunhalkar (4512) | answered May 05 '17, 11:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Dawn,

I am not sure what do you mean by "This answer may impact testing of your team" !!
However, the screenshot above shown is of a TCER which is not yet Run, but shows a related defects list which are open and are associated with the TCERs which are already executed for this particular test case.

RE Point 1) The example shown is of a new TCER and as of now no defects are linked to it yet, but the related defects listed are part of the another TCER which is part of the same test case.

RE Point 2) This link might help more in clearing the doubts : https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSYMRC_6.0.4/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/c_check_dup_defect.html

Thanks,
Krupa Gunhalkar

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.