It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What ID and pasword should I use to run the scm command line process form a RTC command line build?

Steve Jordan (11223) | asked Apr 28 '17, 2:54 p.m.
retagged May 11 '17, 9:11 a.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

If I want to run the scm command line tool from a build, what ID and password would I use to logon to the repository/  How is the password kept secure?  If I want to always use the RTC Build ID, can I point to the stored password file, does the diff command know how to decrypt the password?

2 answers

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Apr 28 '17, 3:42 p.m.

The ID must:

• Be associated with the particular repository
  • Have membership/role sufficient to read source artifacts
  • Someone must know the credentials.
The scm login can cache the password.  Not sure where or how it's stored.  One only has to provide password on the scm login command.  I usually add -n short-name to the login command (short-name might be the host part of the host name for example)  Subsequent scm commands using -r short-name do not use password which I presume you mean when asking about the diff command. 

See the RTC Knowledge Center / Rational Team Concert / Reference /

e.g. SCM

Comments
Alan Sampson commented Apr 28 '17, 4:45 p.m. | edited Apr 28 '17, 4:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Additionally; as of RTC 6.0.3 the scm CLI provides the --generatePasswordFile and --password-file options in which you can supply your (encrypted) password:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSYMRC_6.0.3/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/login.html

Kevin Ramer commented May 02 '17, 4:44 p.m. | edited May 02 '17, 4:46 p.m.

See also:  https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.build.doc/topics/t_authen_jbe_cli.html

That aludes to scm login caching credentials which can be done and later connections will work.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 29 '17, 12:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

For maximal security, you would use the password file option.   Note that although the password file is encoded, to keep the password secure you need to read-protect the password file.   This ensures that the security of the password file is at the same level as the security of the operating system that manages the file.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.