It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to search by, filter on and export comments in DNG

Richard K (25312) | asked Apr 28 '17, 11:19 a.m.

Hello,

Comments in DNG seem to be a special sort of attribute, in that they appear in the "Show Columns" drop down menu and "Change Column Display Settings" dialog, but not in the "New Filter" dialog. I have a few questions about comments in DNG:

1. How do search for artifacts with specific text in their comments?

2. How do I filter artifacts based on comments, e.g., filter on whether they have any comments or not, filter on whether their comments contain specific text, filter on whether their comments where made by or directed to certain users, etc.?

3. How do I export an artifacts comments to MS Excel or MS Word?

Thanks.

Comments
Christian Winkler commented Nov 29 '17, 3:39 a.m.

I have the same questions regarding comments. Any ideas?

5 answers

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Oct 06 '20, 8:21 p.m.
You can export comments using Publishing Engine - the out of the box DNG reports use this capability to export comments for requirements.

Not ideal but at least you can then search the resulting Word doc.

RPE uses the Reportable REST API to pull comments so you can also use this API to fetch comments for requirements and modules if you want.

permanent link
Rustam Zaidullin (53) | answered Aug 28 '19, 3:00 a.m.

I've faced the question of export comment, my case is migration of requirements among two DNG servers. And I see the only solution - to generate document with comments included, in order to preserve the history of discussions.

permanent link
Richard K (25312) | answered Dec 04 '17, 3:21 p.m.

PMR 93072,082,000

ME:
Comments in DOORS Next Generation seem to be a special sort of attribute, in that they appear in the "Show Columns" drop down menu and "Change Column Display Settings" window, but not in the "New Filter" window. How do search for artifacts with specific text in their comments? How do I filter artifacts based on comments, e.g., filter on whether they have any comments or not, filter on whether their comments contain specific text, filter on whether their comments where made by or directed to certain users, etc.? How do I export all of the comments made inside of modules, and outside of modules, for many artifacts to MS Excel, MS Word or PDF?

IBM:
Currently in DNG is neither possible to Filter By comment attribute nor to Search (in Quick Search) after Artifacts containing a specific text in the comment. Below is the record for this particular Enhancement Request. Enhance 'Filter By' mechanism for Comment attribute https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=108555

ME:
Thanks for the info, and I am glad to hear there is an enhancement request for this, fair enough. However, is there anyway to export all of the comments out of DNG, so that they can be searched and filtered in MS Excel or MS Word? Please do not close the PMR yet.

IBM:
We have a reporting REST API and will confirm after some test if the comment data is available through that tool or method.

IBM:
Unfortunately after further test even the reporting REST API does not return the comment via that tool or method. You address your concerns via the open Enhancement Request below: Enhance 'Filter By' mechanism for Comment attribute https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=108555

Comments
Bas Bekker commented Dec 04 '17, 4:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, you can export a view with the columns column in xls/csv format, but it will result in exporting the comment count (the number of comments on the artifact), not the actual comment(s).

Christian Winkler commented Dec 06 '17, 3:51 a.m.

Thanks Richard!

A lot of times I was wondering who wrote requirements for DNG and forgot about such basic features....

permanent link
Christian Winkler (1321623) | answered Dec 06 '17, 3:53 a.m.

Thanks Richard,

A lot of times I was wondering who wrote requirements for DNG and forgot about such basic features.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.