It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tuning CLM Environment (OS , DB , WAS , e-t-c)

Salman Shaikh (23412873) | asked Apr 24 '17, 6:09 p.m.

We have implemented complete DevOps solution for a big Firm, Now we need to tune our system so that we may increase the performance for the whole system

We have two server 1 for Db and 1 for all other applications

Machine 1 : CLM Server : CLM 6.0.2 RAM: 64 GB , Processor : Quad Core , : Storage 1 TB

Machine 2 : SQL Server 2012 R2

We have tested the CLM system with RPT with a load of 100 users and the report says that its not stable enough for use, However after few weeks we will get 250+ Users at a time so how can we tune it for better performance?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Apr 25 '17, 2:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Salman,

It is not recommended that in a production environment that you have all the CLM applictions on one server - please see: All Applictions on one server

However, "all the CLM applications" in CLM6.x terms is significantly more appplications than 5.x, so if you're not using LQE, LDX and global configurations then you may be ok.  The suite itself is very data and user driven driving workloads which determine the tuning you would require.

As you're thinking of taking on the complex task of Performance testing, look at:

Each one of the datasheets here describe how you would tune for enterprise scale per application.  You will need to understand your overall workload and tune accordingly, but there are webserver, DB and OS tuning depending on your data and user blend.

Let me know if you need more assistance with this question or whether this is enough for now.
Kind regards,
Paul

Salman Shaikh selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Alan Sampson commented Apr 25 '17, 2:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The processing model for DCC (and to some extent DNG) are markedly different to the other applications and require a significantly different allocation of "native" vs. "heap" memory. Because of that you should deploy the DCC on it's own server to avoid potential performance bottlenecks.

Salman Shaikh commented Apr 25 '17, 6:10 p.m.

@paulellis Can you further explain "webserver, DB and OS tuning depending on your data and user blend." Can you share any thing related to its tuning individually.?

Paul Ellis commented Apr 26 '17, 6:15 a.m. | edited Apr 26 '17, 6:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi again Salman,

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/DOORSToDNGMigrationSizingGuide#Considerations_for_larger_import details a particular DB2 setting which needs to be in place for large imports.  Then you can also ensure the hot areas of DB2 are on SSD.  I am afraid I am not sure of the SQL Server equivalents.  That experience was shared from working with a DB2 consultant, but I am sure the principle is the same.

As for the other tuning, see: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/SizingAndTuningGuideForRationalDOORSNextGenerationVersion60#Tuning_recommendations_for_all_c
There is a particular Windows setting in the registry to note too.

To reiterate my first link in my answer and indeed Alan's comment above - you really must assess your reporting needs and whether having a data collection app on your app server is art all wise.  https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/SizingAndTuningGuideForRationalDOORSNextGenerationVersion60#IHS_tuning

As you are SQL Server then you will need to apply the performance optimisation here: www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21975746

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.