It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Test equipment list

Ed Schrader (1115) | asked Apr 13 '17, 3:55 p.m.
retagged May 19 '17, 1:38 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hi

I am looking for a way, in RQM, to associate a list of Equipment used for a Test Case execution with the Test Results of that execution permanently.

I have tried Test Environment however I noticed that when you change a piece of equipment in a Test Environment, that the new piece of equipment is reflected in the Test Case Results of a previous execution instead of the actual piece of equipment that was used in that Previous execution.

Being in a regulated industry we are required to document a list of equipment used in a Test Execution, therefore having a Test Case Result whose equipment list being different than the actual equipment used for that execution is unacceptable. We use a lot of calibrated test equipment and when one simulator (Simulator A) is due for calibration it is replaced by another (Simulator B) while (Simulator A) is sent out for calibration. I have noticed that Test Case Results (that used Simulator A prior to Simulator A calibration expiration) will reflect Simulator B after the change occurs.

Has anyone run into a similar problem and have a solution?

RQM version = 6.0.2

One answer

permanent link
abhishek gour (3812) | answered Apr 27 '17, 5:06 a.m.

Hello Ed, 

The equipments should not be part of Test Environment definitions. If you change a equipment in a Test Environment then you are actually changing the definition of Test Environment. 
If you need to use different equipments as environment details for your Test Environment then ideally you should have different test environment for each of them. 

Now coming to your example - Simulator A and B looks to be Lab Resources rather than environments. Both of them look to be same systems may be with different IDs ( like A and B ) which could belong to same Test Environment ( simulators of certain type). 

So Test Environment may define what types of equipments are being used. Such as Simulators or physical machines. If your Simulators belong to same type then I think it is resource which is changed. Simulators as resource can be linked with environment via Test Cells. 

You could explore more about Resources, Environment, and Test Cell at - 

In short, since results points to Test Environment, so any change in the environment would be reflected back to all the results. TE do not have different states for different results. Result point to current state of TE. 
In order to capture details about different equipments for different results, you may have to use equipments as resources, and map them to environment via test cell.

You could try to know about Channels as well. Although for your use case they may not be exactly required, but it may give you more ideas about how handle your need. 

Thanks,
Abhishek.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.