It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG 602 upgrade implications to existing spec's

Norman Dignard (356688167) | asked Apr 10 '17, 4:49 p.m.
retagged Jan 30 '18, 2:53 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

We're upgrading from 502 to 602 and we are wondering on what post upgrade tasks are now required due to the intro of stream/baselines.

We have several PAs. Some have adopted a department approach within a PA in that they are using teams , a team being the system/app.  In 502 baselines were module centric. In 602 they are now project based.

For example , in this "department" PA - ATM , their is now only one stream ATM .- what version/baseline of a module does this show?  How does on get an older baseline. You can't compare to any other stream and no baselines are listed .

Having done testbed migration users are now trying to do some data validation and cant find their stuff .

What additional things are projects now required to do in 602 to accommodate the new features? Do they need to create a stream per module/ per baseline..?? Basically whats the roadmap from 502 to 602 from the user perspective? 

Norm

One answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Apr 11 '17, 3:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Norm,

There are several parts to this post.  I am going to answer  "Having done testbed migration users are now trying to do some data validation and cant find their stuff ." which means it might be easier to make a separate post of the rest, or better still open a PMR if this doesn't answer your question.  You should not be having issues locating your data.

Baselines are archived during the upgrade/migration

1) Baselines were archived to speed up the migration, so they need to be unarchived.  See: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.2/com.ibm.jazz.vvc.doc/topics/t_config_arch.html

2) Are you using IE?  We had an issue with IE where you couldn't see things, although this also impacted folders, so as you don't mention that I still assume this is the first point.

3) I also doubt it is this, but you may as well note that module baselines became project baselines

https://jazz.net/library/article/1516#00207

Of course, if there are issues with quick search etc, then check your logs and see if you're getting a warning about not shutting the server down correctly.  You can also run :

repotools -verifyjfsindexes
and
repotools -verify
to ensure the integrity of the indices and the database.

In terms of usage.  You're going to hate me as I know the journey you've been on to get to 6.0.2, but you really need to consider components in 6.0.3 to get the module-esque baseline granularity.  Fine Grained Components would allow you to take a single module, or collection of modules together (but at a lower level than the project) and baseline.

I am going to stop here though as there are usage experts on this forum who can supply you a better answer than I can on this part of your post.

Thanks,
Paul

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Apr 13 '17, 10:49 a.m.

Paul thanks for the reply. 

I'm digging into this more but having problems finding things in my search.

Can you tell me, post 6x upgrade, what is the default modules users see in 602?

Post 602 migration there is only one stream in the project and you can query and access modules. You cannot change streams and/or baseline as all the baselines are archived. 

So what version of a modules are users looking in the default stream in 602? The first version, last baseline, current version?      

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.