It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC SDK packages are missing dependant Eclipse platform library source jars

Krasimir Malchev (56531) | asked Apr 07 '17, 4:56 a.m.
edited Apr 07 '17, 4:57 a.m.

Where can I get the appropriate versions of the Eclipse platform library sources (packed as jars) corresponding to the  included Eclipse binaries in the RTC SDK releases?
In particular, I am interested in those Eclipse source jars in RTC SDK 6.0.2.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 07 '17, 5:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You would have to download an Eclipse version with the Eclipse Source Jars from Eclipse.org and install RTC into that and then install the SDK. 

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Krasimir Malchev commented Apr 07 '17, 6:59 a.m.
  1. That being said, I get Eclipse 4.5.2 SDK x86-64 bit
    1. Then I install RTC 6.0.2
  2. The third step (i.e. install SDK) is not clear to me.
        From the jazz.net website I have RTC SDK in a zip archive.
        I usually use it to extract it in folder ...installs/rtc_sdk used to create a new target.
        How should I install the "install SDK" and have one folder with all RTC and Eclipse related jars and source jars (Eclipse and RTC)?

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 07 '17, 7:17 a.m. | edited Apr 07 '17, 7:20 a.m.

I don't know how Eclipse ships its source, I assume there is a description on Eclipse.org

Once you set up the RTC SDK Target Platform as explained in the RTC Extensions Workshop, you add the RTC SDK to it and then you likely add the Eclipse SDK to the Target Platform as well. And then add the sources to the Java Search.

Krasimir Malchev commented Apr 10 '17, 2:38 a.m.

This is exactly what I usually do (i.e. following the workshop instructions).

In fact, this is a pretty old open question I haven't managed to resolve so far.
  Therefore I've decided to ask again.

The issue is that RTC SDK folder contains the Eclipse binaries.
   On the other hand if I want to have the Eclipse sources (jars with file names corresponding to the binary jars, suffixed with "src" or "source"), I have to add the sources and their binaries to the target content.
   This would introduce duplication of the binaries (one time added by the RTC SDK and another time by myself), which causes issues.
   On the other hand it is difficult to add only the source jars because:
     - the jars are a lot
     - the versions of the jars in the Eclipse SDK may differ from the ones in the RTC SDK
    - One Eclipse binary may have a different name than the one in RTC SDK.

Krasimir Malchev commented Apr 10 '17, 8:16 a.m. | edited Apr 10 '17, 8:22 a.m.

I am afraid, it is still not clear to me how to set up a plug-in development environment with Eclipse Core and platform, SWT, RTC SDKs with sources and documentation :-(
At the moment (using the extensions workshop - btw, wonderful source) I can build an environment with either  RTC source and documentation or Eclipse platform documentation and sources. I want to know how to do it. The provided steps above do not solve the mentioned issue. (see the comment below - duplication of plug-in with different versions)...

PS: At the moment I can manually exclude (a lot of work) one of the duplicated plug-ins for each case, preserving the Eclipse plug-ins from the Eclipse SDK (binaries, source, and documentation). However this may also introduce interface break as the existing RTC plug-ins used the Eclipse plug-in versions bundled with the RTC SDK.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 10 '17, 8:25 a.m.

Sorry, I do only know what the workshop needs. I have no need to look at the source. I assume you can download an Eclipse with source similar to the RTC SDK and add that to the target platform, but I don't know for sure.

One other answer

permanent link
Krasimir Malchev (56531) | answered Apr 10 '17, 4:57 a.m.

From where can I get the source jars of the Eclipse binaries bundled in the RTC SDK provided by IBM, so that I can have them in the java search?

The purpose is to have an environment with both Eclipse and RTC sources and documentation which can be used to develop SWT GUIs related to an RTC Eclipse plug-in... What is the IBM's recommendation to do it?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.