It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM: Test suite Execution - How usefull is "Skip Execution"

Jörg Werner (3033781) | asked Mar 14 '17, 12:34 p.m.
edited Mar 14 '17, 12:39 p.m.

Hello,

when running a test suite I have the following scenario:

• 69 test cases are assigned
  • via Command Line Adapter the test results are read
  • 64 test cases passed
  • 5 test cases failed
after fixing I want to rerun the test suite for the 5 failed test cases

This works fine, because I can select "Skip Execution"

Fix was not successful, and still all 5 test cases are failed

new fix and now I want to rerun it again.

But RQM can not marked the passed test cases, because it checks only the last run.

I think "Skip Execution" looks like a powerful feature, but only in theory. In the real world the tester has now check all 69 test cases manually and mark each test case by him self.

Or do I oversee something?

thanks, Jörg

tested with 6.0.3 iFix001

Accepted answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Apr 05 '17, 8:21 p.m.

I found that in v6.0.4, there is a new feature: Roll up test suite and test case results
from which it could work for your use case. see the details here:

https://jazz.net/pub/new-noteworthy/rqm/6.0.4/M4/index.html

With this new feature, you can roll up the test suite result and then skip the passed result for the next execution until you complete the whole execution and passed all the test cases.

v6.0.4 M4 is now available in jazz.net and you may download it and give it a try.
Thanks

Jörg Werner selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jörg Werner commented Apr 06 '17, 5:43 a.m.

thank you, Don!

One other answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Mar 16 '17, 2:10 a.m.

Hi, Jörg

I think what you observed is how it is working in RQM currently. One possible workaround is that you delete the first failed test suite results(for the failed fix of 5 test cases) so that it 'appears' as if your previous execution result is still valid when you run 2nd fix for the 5 test cases using 'Skip Execution'. If the 2nd fix works, then you can go to Trash View to restore the deleted test suite result and it should be automatically inserted back to its original execution sequence table(should be the 2nd execution result after the latest one).

Comments
Jörg Werner commented Mar 16 '17, 4:41 a.m.

Hi Don,

thanks for the answer.

I think the work-a-round is not really a solution. In case not all 5 test cases fail but only 2, and I want to rerun only the tree failed test cases, the work-a-round will not work.

My conclusion is, that the user has to pick manually the required test cases and the answer to the original question is: " Nice feature but not working in a real production environment".

Thanks, Jörg

Don Yang commented Mar 21 '17, 11:26 p.m.

I just saw this RFE and you may be interested in it. See comment 2:
https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=83264

If that is what you want, please add your comments there with some more details of your use case.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.