It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating Parent Child relationships on file import for work item creation

Denise McLaughlin (49517) | asked Mar 08 '17, 2:43 p.m.

Years ago it seems I was able to successfully create a parent child relationship on work items from a .csv file.  I could create the Epic in the spreadsheet, along with the Story and have the newly created Epic become the Parent.  I had a format similar to:

We are now on CLM 6.0.3 - the team members love the new web UI for import of .csv files but have not been able to create the relationships and work items all from one spreadsheet.  The format above, links the Story's to the existing work item 1 in their project area.

Does this capability to create the Epic and Story from one spreadsheet and have the links automatically create exist?  I certain can see where you could create the Epic, then supply the Epic number in the Parent column and make the association that way but curious if it could be done in one step.

Comments
Donald Nong commented Mar 08 '17, 7:04 p.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 08 '17, 4:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 08 '17, 4:51 p.m.

It has existed for years and still exists. I believe it is also explained in the documentation.

Please see https://www.google.com/search?q=parent+child+csv+import+site%3Ajazz.net and let me know if you found your answer how to.

You would have to make sure the new work items are created and know their ID's to do it in one step, I don't think that is realistic.

Denise McLaughlin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Denise McLaughlin commented Mar 08 '17, 6:52 p.m.

I'm sorry - my screen snip on my original post did not come through.
So the format I'm using is:
ID, Type, Summary, Filed Against, Parent
1, Epic, Some Epic, Some Category,
2, Story, Some Story, Some Category, 1
3, Story, Another Story, Some Category, 1

Import is creating the Epic and two Stories however the Stories are showing a Parent link to existing work item #1 from when we first implemented Rational...not the ID of the newly created Epic as expected.

Lily Wang commented Mar 09 '17, 2:03 a.m.

I tested in RTC 6.0.3 environment and I don't have any issue. If the csv file contains ID as your sample, the Story will be linked to the Epic created during the csv importing.
If you still have the issue, you can try to using your csv file generate a custom mapping file and test if the issue happens using the mapping file.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 09 '17, 2:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The point I was trying to make after realizing the 1 step question was:

If you import say a Story and an Epic in one go and you want to link the Story to the Epic as parent in this one go, you would have to 
1. Import the new Epic before the new Story
2. Know the ID the Epic will have after import and have it in the import file with a #

The second condition is not realistic in a system that is used by more than one person.

Denise McLaughlin commented Mar 09 '17, 8:53 a.m.

Thank you Ralph.  That is the confirmation that I was looking for.  I struggled to make the key point on 'one step' very clear. 

One other answer

permanent link
David Babuder (1527) | answered Feb 23 '18, 6:19 p.m.

It is realistic using the format Denise suggested. Other aspects of import (into RQM for instance) allow the fields to be related. Here Denise is suggesting "#" is an indicator that says "use row number, not the visible id".

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.