It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

NullPointerException opening a sprint plan

Chris Barlock (18814738) | asked Mar 07 '17, 11:53 a.m.

I'm running 

Version: 6.0.2
Build id: RTC-CLIENT-I20160323-2215

using the p2 repository installed into Eclipse Neon.2 Java EE IDE.  When I open any sprint plan, I get:

java.lang.NullPointerException
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.service.tools.CategoryFilterHelper.getFilteredCategories(CategoryFilterHelper.java:62)
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.service.tools.WorkItemResolver.fetchCategories(WorkItemResolver.java:103)
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.service.tools.AbstractPlanResolveHelper.fetchPrimaryCategories(AbstractPlanResolveHelper.java:545)
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.service.tools.AbstractPlanResolveHelper.fetchCategories(AbstractPlanResolveHelper.java:574)
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.service.tools.AbstractPlanResolveHelper.fetchTeamAreaCategories(AbstractPlanResolveHelper.java:469)
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.service.rest.PlanRestService.loadPlanItemsDelayedChildren(PlanRestService.java:1862)
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.service.rest.PlanRestService.getPlanItems(PlanRestService.java:1793)

I coworker running the 5.0.2 client does not see this exception.  I'm hoping this is a known problem with an available fix, because my sprint planning is effectively blocked by this.

One answer

permanent link
Chris Barlock (18814738) | answered Mar 07 '17, 12:37 p.m.

One of my co-workers built a wiki page on this.  He wrote:

When the fetchTeamAreaCategories is executed, it is trying to find work item Categories that relate to the Process Area by way of inquiring through the Plan's owner.  My inference on the behavior is that the detail that fetchTeamAreaCategories has or gets is the ID of the Timeline in order to determine the Categories.  When a Plan is owned by the Project Area, but there is no Project Timeline then the view of the respective Plan fails with the exception above.

Solution

• Assign some Timeline as the Project Timeline   OR
  • Change the owner of the affected Plan(s) to a Team Area that is associated with a specific Timeline.
I did the first and the NPE went away.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.