It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to compare two versions of requirements which are imported into DOORS NG using Reqif?

Upendran K N (1134) | asked Mar 07 '17, 2:20 a.m.

Can anybody help me in comparing two versions of requirements imported in to a project in Reqif format. How to identify the differences.

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 09 '17, 5:03 a.m.

I don't think it's possible in the two scenarios that may happen.

1. You have two requirement artifacts that are imported from ReqIF files, and you want to know what are the differences between them. This is basically the same as comparing two random requirement artifacts and try to find out the differences. I'm not aware of any functions or tools to do it.

2. You have two ReqIF files that you are going to import into RDNG and you want to know what are the differences between them. The ReqIF format can be seen as an XML format with complicated contents. I'm not aware of any tools to compare them either.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 09 '17, 5:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you use Global configuration Management, you could create a new stream, then based on that stream create a workspace, import and create a baseline for the first import. You could do the same for the second import and compare the baselines. Just a thought, I don't know the details at the moment.

Comments
Upendran K N commented Mar 09 '17, 7:19 a.m.

Thanks for the reply Ralph.
I have one more doubt. I imported one reqif say Requirement v1 in a folder in the project. How will be the behaviour if i import another reqif requirement v2 into the same folder?

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 09 '17, 7:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am not a DoorsNext expert, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't know the reqif importer well enough, so I don't know if it would import a requirement on top of an existing one.

I would suggest to setup a small test system to play around with all these concepts until you understand how you can use them in your context.

Donald Nong commented Mar 09 '17, 8:11 p.m.

Upendran, if v2 is completely different from v1, the answer is easy, as you will get all new requirement artifacts, in the same folder. But if the v2 is a "modified" version of v1, the behavior is hard to predict - if RDNG can match any resource in the ReqIF to an existing resource in RDNG, it will update it; otherwise a new resource (data type, attribute type, artifact type, requirement artifact and etc) will be created.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.