It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Extending RDNG functionalities

Ricky Jay (28926) | asked Feb 15 '17, 6:01 a.m.

Hello Gurus, 

We need to setup the development environment to enhance few functionalities in RDNG which is requested by one of our client. The changes they want are not possible to implement in the tool unless we create plugins/APIs or modify the default ones.

To achieve the goal, we need to have development environment as same as IBM provides for RTC extension but unfortunately we couldn’t find much on this.

This would be great if we get any kind of development environment setup guide to proceed with this. 

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated. Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 15 '17, 6:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As far as I know, RDNG does not ship an SDK. You can not enhance RDNG like you can enhance RTC. I would suggest to create an enhancement request for what extensions you need and one to be able to contribute custom extensions.

Comments
Ricky Jay commented Feb 15 '17, 9:01 a.m.

Thanks @Ralph for the quick answer, 

We have opened PMR as well and it is closed by just suggesting below.

"You have requested information for extending RDNG functionalities through the development of RDNG APIs in RDNg 6.0.2.

Please refer to the following page:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DNGReportableRestAPI

In addition, I Googled "ibm.com rdng api" and got several results.  Please try searching with the same text."

As far as i know, Enhancement request is to ask IBM to add functionalities in the tool. Does it simply mean we cannot enhance anything in RDNG OOTB as we do for RTC? 

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 15 '17, 9:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

PMRs will only be accepted for product defects. Neither RQM, nor DOORS Next ever advertized or had planned a Software Development Kit, that would allow customization at a level RTC allows it. 

If you can not achieve what you want by using the supported APIs, all you can do is ask for an enhancement that implements something along your lines or provides a capability to enhance the tool along those lines.

I don't know if your requirement can be achieved in a different way. All I can say is, that there is no extension point for advisors or participants in RDNG that you can use. 

permanent link
Bas Bekker (1.4k4) | answered Feb 15 '17, 9:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ways to integrate with DNG that are available:

• OSLC RM V2 API - the open standard way to programmatically integrate with DOORS Next Generation, there is an elaborate workshop to get you started here OSLC Workshop article. These programs can be from any language that support HTTP REST calls, e.g. Java, C# etc. Hence these are more flexible to run and can read and update DNG data, as part of a web server, or standalone, but have some limitations set by the current OSLC standard, for example module support.
  • TRS 2.0 - the OSLC Tracked Resource Set open standard REST API to hook into the stream of low level changes done to resources in the DNG application (and other Jazz apps as well); read only.
  • and additionally, there is the so called client extension capability, these are Javascript extension that generally added as widgets you can run from the dashboard, and can be used to view and edit DNG data. It's more tailored to DNG, so has better module support, but is limited to run in a browser/javascript environment.

And then there is the private API of REST services DNG uses internally, but that one isn't documented and supported, usage on your own risk.

Comments
Ricky Jay commented Feb 15 '17, 9:31 a.m.

Thanks @Bas, RRC and TRS Apis are just to read the data and OSLC APIs are to read/write on data level. 

What do you say if we want to customize any current rdng functionality. Let me be more specific to one of our scenario so u could better understand the requirements.

"In BRD and SRS modules only approved artifacts will be included.
If any existing approved artifact from BRD And SRS module is modifed, its status will automatically changed to Draft"

Do you think above can be achieved by the ways you suggested? 

Donald Nong commented Feb 16 '17, 3:10 a.m.

I thought you could just use the workflow, but then realized that auto-transition is not yet supported.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/222220/auto-state-triggering-in-rdng-workflow

Bas Bekker commented Feb 21 '17, 5:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

@Rick
No, don't think that's achievable yet with the OSLC API. You would need to mix the OSLC API with requests to the private DNG API to get there. That will require time to investigate and reverse engineer the API watching the requests that the DNG web UI does.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.