It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Update module using document import?

Staffan Nilsson (1111) | asked Feb 10 '17, 9:45 a.m.

We want to have customer specifications imported into DOORS in order to use links to be sure that we cover all requirements in our internal requirement specifications. Such customer specifications are usually delivered as Word or Excel documents. Sometimes these documents get updated. I then need to be able to update the existing DNG module by importing the document again - updating existing artifacts, adding new ones and preferably marking the removed ones.

This could be done in DOORS 9.5 if the customer requirements contained requirement id:s. These id:s could then be used to sync artifacts during the update. Is the same things possible in DOORS Next Generation? How?

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Feb 14 '17, 8:32 p.m.

As far as I know, the answer is no. Currently you can use CSV import to update existing requirements, but it will be quite difficult to translate the changes in a Word document to a CSV file. In other words, I don't have a solution to your situation.

Comments
Staffan Nilsson commented Feb 15 '17, 10:06 a.m.

Thank you for the reply! How would I do it with DNG in case of a csv file? Are there any particular prerequisites on the file in order for it to work?

Donald Nong commented Feb 16 '17, 2:25 a.m.

Usually, you would export the selected requirements, including ID and some attributes, from DNG into a CSV file. Then you make some changes in the CSV (or probably via a round trip to another compatible application), then import it back. DNG will update the requirements based on the IDs in the CSV file. But it's definitely more complicated in your case.

The reason DOORS, and the long-gone RequisitePro, can update the requirements out of a Word document is they keep a copy of the Word document in the system and have direct references to the document, while DNG works quite differently (without any link to the Word document once import is done).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.