It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Importer - What does "Create a new Work Item for unmatched entry" do?

Dudley Thomas (41613) | asked Feb 09 '17, 1:35 p.m.

I have a .csv file to import into RTC. This is a mix of existing and new workitems.  The existing work items have "Id" and the new ones do not. In reviewing the documentation, I understand that I can import this file, select the "Update matched Work Item" selection as well as the "Create a new Work Item for unmatched entry".  This fails for new work items, i.e., those without "Id".  Am I interpreting this incorrectly? Thanks in advance.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dudley Thomas (41613) | answered Feb 14 '17, 8:10 a.m.

Resolved as "user error". Tool works as expected.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 14 '17, 8:17 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

What went wrong, Thomas?

Donald Nong commented Feb 15 '17, 12:10 a.m.

Just a wild guess - some rows are without IDs, and the columns are misaligned. :-)

Dudley Thomas commented Feb 15 '17, 4:36 p.m. | edited Feb 16 '17, 2:26 a.m.

no. forgot the type column. duh

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 16 '17, 2:27 a.m.

Thanks for sharing. Things happen......

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 10 '17, 2:44 a.m.

Yes. The import tries to find the work item and update it based on the ID. If there is no matching work item for an ID or no ID then the work item is created with the values from CSV.

Comments
Dudley Thomas commented Feb 10 '17, 8:40 a.m. | edited Feb 16 '17, 2:27 a.m.

Thanks Ralph. That is what I thought "should" happen. We are trying this with 6.0.2 and it does not work. I have Id field for some. Others it is blank.  I am wondering if it fails due to the formatting of the Id "blank".

Any thoughts?

Dudley Thomas commented Feb 10 '17, 8:40 a.m.

Thanks Ralph. That is what I thought "should" happen. We are trying this with 6.0.2 and it does not work. I have Id field for some. Others it is blank.  I am wondering if it fails due to the formatting of the Id "blank".

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 10 '17, 9:00 a.m.

This explains how it should work: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.workitem.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_importing_work_items_csv_file.html

Usually the problem is in the mapping/mapping file. There is not enough information to really suggest anything.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.