It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I create an attribute type with a link in an artifact type?

Scott Ankrum (25313) | asked Feb 07 '17, 1:15 p.m.

How do I create an attribute type with a link in an artifact type?  I have searched the Jazz knowledge base and the YouTube videos, but I cannot find any mention of this.  One video paused long enough to show a list under the Link Types heading, but he didn't do anything with the list.

When I select Manage Project Properties and select an artifact type, there are no link type attributes listed.  When I select Add Attribute, there are no link type attributes listed there either.

I can see the list of Link Types, but most of them are not selectable, including the ones I want.

One of the sample projects has an artifact type Information which includes "Implemented By" and "Validated By".  These are what I want, but the artifact type Information doesn't seem to be an appropriate name.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Alex Ivanov (713) | answered Feb 07 '17, 2:31 p.m.

You don't need to create anything for those 2 types, it's predefined for you. I believe the design tool (e.g. Rhapsody) to requirements uses the Satisfies link type. I know Implements is for work items and validates is for tested by. To create the links you would go into RQM for example and invoke the link generation GUI from within a test case and it would automatically use the validates by link type.

In DNG you can add the columns to your views to see names of test cases etc... of what is linked to your artifacts. Again no need to do anything in DNG to enable this, it's predefined for these 2 link types.

Scott Ankrum selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Scott Ankrum commented Feb 07 '17, 2:43 p.m.
Thank you Alex.  When I created a new project using the Traditional Requirements template, and created an artifact of type Requirement, I saw those two link types.  I am still a little confused, because they would not show up under the sample "lpa project" for "system requirement" or "stakeholder requirement".

4 other answers

permanent link
Alex Ivanov (713) | answered Feb 07 '17, 2:14 p.m.

Implemented by would be a link from an RTC work item and validated by would be a link from the test case in RQM.

Comments
Scott Ankrum commented Feb 07 '17, 2:28 p.m.
 I don't understand your answer. 
    What is the best way to point a requirement to the design component that implements it? 
    What is the best way to point a requirement to the test case that validates it?

The words "Implemented By" and "Validated By" seem exactly appropriate for my intended purposes.  (As I said in my original question, those link types are available in the Information artifact type for one sample project)

I thought I needed to create attributes in the artifact type for requirements so every requirement would have at least one of each of those link types.  I haven't found any guidance in the Jazz knowledge base on the best way to create such pointers. 

permanent link
Alex Ivanov (713) | answered Feb 07 '17, 2:13 p.m.

These 2 types are specific to RTC and RQM respectively that is why you can't assign them to the artifacts, for other link types that you define you assign them to artifacts as preferred link types.

permanent link
Scott Ankrum (25313) | answered Feb 07 '17, 1:52 p.m.

Thank you Alex, but I already got that far.  I can see the two link types I want: Implemented By and Validated By.  They are listed under Link Types with Name, Relationship Labels, and RDF URI.  The problem is that I cannot select either of them.  I don't know how to add them to the Artifact type I have.  If I select "+ Add..." it just tells me that the link type already exists.

If instructions for doing this are documented somewhere, please point me to them.  So far, I am finding this product to be very poorly documented.  I wish I had a manual, either paper or on-line.

permanent link
Alex Ivanov (713) | answered Feb 07 '17, 1:38 p.m.

You are very close, under the Manage Project Properties in the Link Types tab is where you would define additional relationships that aren't already provided for you. Then when you are in your artifacts/modules you can insert columns which are either attributes or link types or both.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.