It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to set a TSER result 'passed' using a CLA if at least one TCER didn't result in 'passed'?

Stefan Greim (1313) | asked Feb 06 '17, 3:39 p.m.
retagged Feb 10 '17, 3:46 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

We are using the Command Line Adapter to execute Test Suites automatically, but a huge problem is that any result unlike 'passed' of the contained Test Case Executional Records determines the overall result of the Test Suite Executional Record. So if one Test Case is failed or deferred, the whole Test Suite will be failed or deferred...

Where can you define the norms, how Test Case results determine the result of the superordinated Test Suite?

I didn't find any answer to that neither in the RQM help nor in the forum here...

One answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Feb 08 '17, 1:35 a.m.

Hi, Stefan

I don't think you can define the TSER to be passed even though there is one TCER failed (or status other than passed).
In general, the highest severity of test case result will determine the result of TSER, the severity info can be found

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.3/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/c_status_icons.html

so if one test case result is failed and all other passed, then TSER will show failed. if one is failed and another one is deferred and all of passed, then it is still failed because failed is higher severity than deferred.

Comments
Stefan Greim commented Feb 08 '17, 5:34 a.m.

Hi Don,

thanks for ur answer!

I have to rephrase my question then: where can I change the severity levels of Test Case Results within a Test Suite?
If not possible, this would be a major limitation in RQM, making the productive use of Test Suites very difficult :(

Don Yang commented Feb 08 '17, 10:19 p.m.

Hi, Stefan

What you can do is to manually change the test suite result status from whatever to passed if any failed or other status in one test case result still meet your test suite Pass criteria. RQM has this feature mainly because it may have use case as what your testing is, one failed/deferred in test case still show allow test suite to be passed. For test case result, it is the same that you can change the status manually because of the use case that some failed step(s) may not affect the overall result status.

Stefan Greim commented Feb 14 '17, 11:34 a.m.

Hi Don,

unfortunately that's not an option since we need the Test Suite result data added to RQM without user interaction. Let me describe our use case to illustrate the problem:

We have a Test Suite of like 100 Test Cases executed through a CLA. We have like 20 different DUT whose feature set allows a partial execution of the Test Suite only. Since the Test Script running on the CLA machine knows about the DUT's configuration, the CLA assigns the executional status 'deferred' to the non-executable TCERs. Thus the status of the TSER now is always set to 'deferred' as well and its 'true' executional status is not visible.

So what we need is a status with less severity than 'passed' since maintaining 20 different Test Suites is not an option. I suppose the status 'not run' can not be set to a TCER by a CLA though?

Many thanks in advance,
Stefan

Don Yang commented Feb 14 '17, 7:50 p.m.

From https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.3/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/c_status_icons.html and Execution States in Manage Project Properties, we know that only 'paused' and 'in progress' are lower severity than passed. However, there is no exit code for these two states(https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.3/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_customize_cmd_line.html), therefore, I guess the only option in your case is to set execution state to 'passed' instead of 'deferred' to the non-executable TCERs.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.