It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Report Builder 6.0.1 - A report that displays Floating and Token license counts

Cameron McKay (571021) | asked Jan 26 '17, 10:08 a.m.
edited Jan 26 '17, 10:09 a.m.

Hello,

I am running CLM 6.0.1 environment that uses floating and token licenses for CCM, QM and RM.  I'm looking for reports that I can create or out-of-the-box reports that I can use to retrieve the following information:

• List all the licenses that we have in Jazz Team server
  • Who the licenses are assigned to
  • How many licenses are available for each
  • How many licenses / tokens are assigned for each
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Cam.

4 answers

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 30 '18, 4:09 a.m.

Hello Larry,
to answer your question:
"What is that License data collection job that DCC runs every hour doing, if it's not putting license usage data into DW?"

It's indeed putting license usage data into the data warehouse.
This is used by the Floating License Usage BIRT report under jts/admin Server > Licensing > Reports.

Best Regards
Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Jackie Albert commented Jan 30 '18, 9:58 a.m.

Which tables are filled by the Licensing DCC job, so we can build a custom report against them?  

Francesco Chiossi commented Jan 30 '18, 11:53 a.m.

Hello Jackie,

according to the ttl file the data from the licensing job goes to the following tables:
RICALM.GROUP_NAME_FACET
RICALM.INTEGRAL_RANGE_COUNTER
RICALM.RANGE_COUNTER
RICALM.SCALAR_COUNTER

Best Regards
Francesco Chiossi

Francesco Chiossi commented Jan 30 '18, 11:59 a.m.

Larry McCarthy commented Jan 30 '18, 6:49 p.m. | edited Jan 30 '18, 6:51 p.m.

Thanks, Francesco!

To answer my own question (erm, answer...) re: the License log, it produces a file in the JTS log directory (<CLM_install_dir>/server/logs) named floatingLicenseLogFile.csv

The column headers on this file are:
  • Server - JTS public URI
  • Start Time - the UTC start time of this lease
  • Expiration Date - the UTC time of this lease event - checkout, extend, expire, check in
  • Policy Id - e.g.,  com.ibm.rqm.qualityprofessional.floating-v3_b92a5960-cb65-11df-bd3b-0800200c9a66
  • Lease Id - A GUID for this entire lease
  • User Id - user ID
  • Operation Id - e.g.,  com.ibm.rqm.readaccess, com.ibm.rqm.login
  • Description - lease event, e.g., checkout, extend, expire, check in
  • Product - e.g., Rational Quality Manager
  • Application - e.g., Rational Quality Manager
  • Role - e.g.,  Quality Professional-Floating

permanent link
Larry McCarthy (2102224) | answered Jan 29 '18, 9:51 p.m.

OK, not an answer, but a few more questions...

1. What is that License data collection job that DCC runs every hour doing, if it's not putting license usage data into DW?
    • If it has useful data like license type, user ID, start- and end-time, how do I convince JRS to make me a report on it?
    • Please don't say BIRT...
  2. What will I find in the log file if I enable license logging under com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.license.FloatingLicenseService in /jts/admin#action=com.ibm.team.repository.admin.configureAdvanced? 
    • How do I make a report (dashboard, etc.) out that data?
    • Please don't say BIRT
    • ... or Excel...
Thanks,
Larry.

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 26 '17, 10:15 a.m.
edited Jan 26 '17, 10:16 a.m.

Hello Cameron,

the only report available on licenses is the Floating License Usage BIRT report under jts/admin Server > Licensing > Reports; it reports only information on the floating licenses served by the JTS it's run from and it most likely does not provide the level of information you are looking for.

Best Regards,
Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Cameron McKay commented Jan 26 '17, 10:20 a.m.

Thanks for the information Francesco!  I did some research and found an article on Rational License Key Adminstration.  It seems to provide some additional reporting.  Is that accurate?

Francesco Chiossi commented Jan 26 '17, 10:48 a.m.

Hello Cameron,

I've never tried it myself, but it should work provided you are using token or floating licenses.

Best Regards,
Francesco Chiossi

permanent link
Kevin Cornell (5411) | answered Jan 26 '17, 10:13 a.m.

Report Builder can only report on data that is published to either the Data Warehouse or to LQE. The JTS application maintains the license information and who is using which license. That information is not published to either the DW or LQE. Therefore Report Builder is not able to help you.

You may want to examine the JTS reporting capabilities to see if you can get this information.

Comments
Cameron McKay commented Jan 26 '17, 10:14 a.m.

Thanks for the information Kevin!  Do you have any information about Jazz Team Server reporting?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.