It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to upgrade to JDK 1.8 for CLM?

Daniel Ruebush (9715187) | asked Jan 19 '17, 3:20 p.m.

RTC 5.0.2 upgrade of JDK 1.8
Hi All,

We are currently using RTC 5.0.2 on Windows 2012 R2.
We plan to upgrade oru Java JDK to 1.8. I am currently using Eclipse 4.2.1 and JDK 1.6.

What are the steps in the RTC server/clients/build engines woud I need to modify?

Also we are going to be creating a new build definition that would be a duplicate of the current one we have but it will use the new JDK 1.8.

Will it use some other newer libraries/jar files in addition to the change in JDK ?                                                                 

What steps are involved in these sections?
Will updating Eclipse plug-in will be enough?
Would we need to upgrade the RTC Eclipse client too?

Thank you for any help you may offer!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 19 '17, 3:31 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 19 '17, 3:39 p.m.

Go to the system requirements on the getting started tab of the download page for your version and open the system requirements (this is unchanged since RTC 1.0 from like 2008, btw). See the supported runtime environments.

Java 8 is not part of them for that version. So you continue to use the shipped version (ideally) with the server.
I would suggest to do the same for the client. What Java is used to run Eclipse and what to compile any code can be different. You can add JREs/JDKs to Eclipse.

For the build, you would basically use a different JDK in the build environment, as far as I can tell. That should be all. The version that is used to run the server and the client, does not have to be the version you use to compile in the build. You just have to make sure the server and JBE and Eclipse use a supported version and specify to use a different version within the build. For ecxample have a different JRE folder and java.exe selected within the build than what the JBE is using. This would be environment variables and build scripts for all I know. Does that make sense?

Daniel Ruebush selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Alan Sampson (93749) | answered Jan 19 '17, 6:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Java 8 is not supported on any of the current releases of the CLM server. For CLM releases up to 6.0.0 you must use IBM Java 1.6.0. For CLM 6.0.1 & 6.0.2 you may use IBM Java 1.6.0 or IBM Java 1.7.1. For CLM 6.0.3 and on you must use IBM Java 1.7.1 (see https://jazz.net/pub/new-noteworthy/install_upgrade/6.0.3/index.html for an explanation.)

The Eclipse client plugin doesn't have those restrictions however so you should be able to use Java 8 (IBM or Oracle) if you have installed the plugin into an Eclipse instance.(from Eclipse.org) or the IBM Development Package for Eclipse (https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/java8/ - see the Eclipse section. The download comes complete with the IBM Java 1.8 JDK)

There are even more instructions on how to solve IBM Java 8 related issues in older RTC clients in this forum post:
  https://jazz.net/forum/questions/171631/eclipse-luna-oracle-java-8-and-rtc-client
See the "Workaround is to force Eclipse to update to current JDT" discussion.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.