It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I ensure ranking of parent work items is accounted for, when Child work items are managed in a seperate plan?

Richard Tweed (811220) | asked Jan 17 '17, 9:24 a.m.
edited Jan 23 '17, 5:00 a.m.

Scenario:

A project has 10 Features
Each Feature has 5 child Stories

The Features are ranked in a plan

1 of the 5 Stories for Feature1 will be worked and released
3 of the 5 Stories for Feature2 will be worked and released
2 of the 5 Stories for Feature3 will be worked and released

The remaining stories for Features 1-3, and all Stories for Feature 4-10 will remain in a backlog.

Question:
Can I create a view in RTC (or JRS?), to ensure that the Stories are ranked taking into account the ranking of the Feature, so that I don't end up with something similar to that below, or end up with a Story from Feature 4 ranked as #1?

Feature

Feature Rank

Story

Story Rank

Feature1

Story 1

Story 2

Story 3

Story 4

Story 5

-

-

-

-

Feature2

Story 6

Story 7

Story 8

Story 9

Story 10

-

-

Feature3

Story 11

Story 12

Story 13

Story 14

Story 15

-

-

-

3 answers

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001323) | answered Jan 17 '17, 9:48 a.m.

Some calculations are required. Too complex for JRS, I guess.

It should be possible to implement using BIRT, but paying attention to performance, because of the parent / child relationships.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 21 '17, 11:17 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In recent versions of RTC, in a hierarchical planning view (such as the Work Breakdown view),  if you invoke the "Apply Rank" operation, the items will be ranked in a way to respects the parent ranking.   In particular, the parent items will be ranked 1, 2, 3, etc., and the child items will be given a hierarchical ranking.   For example, the child items of the item ranked 2 will be given ranks 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.

permanent link
Richard Tweed (811220) | answered Jan 23 '17, 5:06 a.m.

Thanks both for your responses.  The issue is a little more complex than that stated, with multiple teams involved in delivery of the Stories, so I was trying to quickly determine if there were other means out there.  

The hierarchical planning view doesn't account for Stories from different Features being sequentially important. For example, where a business wants 10 Features, however for a first release, only wants those features as a minimally viable product.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.